Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Getting Old

Growing old is not for sissies. It is hard. There are so many new health challenges to deal with as one ages. They often affect one's quality of life. I often joke that one retires so that he has time for all the doctor visits. There are also new financial problems to deal with, especially for those on fixed incomes who must face increasing costs for food, energy, healthcare, and taxes, without any raises. And recession cuts drastically into their investments. There is the problem of isolation, especially after retirement. Usually older folks are not valued for their experience and they are usually bypassed for significant responsibilities. My father-in-law used to say that when you are old, nobody wants you anymore. He is correct. Younger folks have their own circles of activity and often ignore older folks. In today's society young is good, old is not.  Andy Rooney has said "The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person". Unfortunately, few believe or practice this.  And then there are the losses of close friends, family members, and even spouses. These become more common as one ages and can become devastating. And this often leads to loneliness. My father-in-law is depressed because there is nobody to talk to in his nursing home. His pastors and family visit him, but his friends and church family have stayed away. My dad lives alone and has been ill lately.  Nobody but his family visits him. Loneliness is often the curse of growing old. Then there is also the fear of the unknown future here on earth. Elderly believers know that someday they will be with the Lord, but in the meantime ... hospitals? living with children? nursing homes? Getting to one's heavenly home is often a rugged, unpleasant journey.  And while society ignores the old - except to give them senior discounts - seniors can contribute. • Walt Stack completed the Ironman Triathlon at 73. • Benjamin Franklin invented bifocals when he was 79. • Caleb was 85 when he entered the Promised Land • Frank Lloyd Wright completed his architectural design of the Guggenheim Museum at age 89. • Choreographer Martha Graham premiered Maple Leaf Gala at age 95. • Ichijirou Araya climbed Mount Fuji at the age of 100. Wow! I wouldn't even attempt that at any age. Maybe we need to listen to the command given to the Israelites in Leviticus 20:32, "Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God." Maybe we need to do more to minister to those who are elderly and facing very difficult times - after all, we all will soon be there ourselves - sooner than we may expect!

No comments: