Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Strange Feelings

On Friday we went to my dad's house to continue to work on it to get ready to try and sell it. When we walked in I happened to notice that his kitchen clock had stopped. The battery had gone bad and it read 6:44. Slowly I began to realize that it was Friday and exactly six months ago, on a Friday morning, I found my dad in his bedroom at about 7 am. We believed that the Lord had called him home about 6:45, just before we arrived that morning. Now I need to tell you that this event gave me a strange feeling. When I told my sister a little later that morning, I said, not seriously, do you think dad is trying to tell us something. She quickly answered that maybe he was asking why we hadn't yet sold the house. She might be right. But that event seemed to set the day which was filled with feelings I hadn't had before. I guess the realization that we are now trying to sell the house brought a flood of memories throughout the day as we worked there. I was in the primary grades when we built the house and I remember it well. I can picture the many stages of the house being constructed. I remember falling from the first floor to the basement before the steps were built - we often joked about what effect the fall had on me. I remember how we had to pick up buckets of rocks from the fill which later became our yard. Oh how we hated that job. As I walked through the house, every room, from the attic to the cellar holds special memories of many good years growing up there. I recall the many traditions and the large family gatherings as our family expanded and the kids grew. For 58 years that house and my family have been part of my life. It will be harder than I ever realized to walk away from there for the last time. Part of me says sell it quickly so our life can get back to normal - it's all I can do to take care of one property but two is a stretch. But another part of me almost hopes it never sells. But being realistic, it is time to sell - quickly, I hope. Mother and dad and Terry are no longer there and it is time to get on with life. So I thank the Lord for a great heritage that does include a great warm home, in a special neighborhood, in a great town. Memories, memories, memories. But as I said, it is now time to move on, even if it is hard to do.

No comments: