Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

An Emotional Roller Coaster Day

I looked forward to yesterday for many weeks. Yesterday was my 50th high school reunion. During the past months we have spent much time in Lititz clearing my dad's house and preparing it for sale. And as we've done this so many good memories have flooded my mind. While most of these memories have involved my family and my experiences in Lititz, many of them have been about my experiences in the Warwick schools and my friends and classmates. So I was really eager to renew friendships and share memories. In the morning, on the way to participate in tours of the school buildings, I had to stop at the homestead to do a few repairs. While walking through the home, probably for one of the last times, my emotions took over. It will be hard, after almost 60 years, to vacate this property - but it must be done. Life moves on. Then I met many of my classmates and we first toured the new elementary school that recently replaced the building where I had attended grades 4 - 9. It is a beautiful modern building. Then it was off to the high school. Our class moved into the high school when it was new, as sophomores, in 1956. It has gone through several major additions and renovations since then and it was even hard to recognize what we had known 50 years ago. Both of these tours were extra special to me since my son Ken had done all the heating and air conditioning engineering for both of them. I was so proud to share that with my classmates. However, near the end of the high school tour, I left the group and wandered by myself to the athletic area where my brother Terry had worked as athletic director for so many years. I looked at the trophy cases and saw pictures of him as a star athlete there in the early sixties. Then I went to his old office and my emotions hit a low. It just didn't seem right that he was no longer there. Even as I write this blog, the tears flow. I miss him so much. I don't understand God's ways, but I rest in the fact that His ways are always right. Terry had a profound impact on the athletic facilities and programs at Warwick. That evening we went to the reunion dinner and had a very special time with classmates, many of whom I haven't seen in 50 years. I had been class president for our last two years in high school so I had worked closely with many of these folks. And we had a great class. We renewed friendships with those who came from as far always as North Carolina, Texas, and California, as well as those from New York and various parts of Pennsylvania. We shared stories of difficult challenges that we have faced at this point in life as well as the many blessings and successes that we have experienced. Unlike some previous reunions, this one was well attended and there was time to share instead of the usual dancing and drinking. It was a great time and it was hard to leave when it was over. And it was emotionally uplifting to hear that many thought that I haven't changed, especially since everyone else had - they all looked so old! I guess an indication that we are really aging is the fact that they are thinking of holding the 55th reunion during the day because a growing number of our class no longer like to travel at night. Oh yes, the joys of getting older. It was a great day even with the highs and lows of my emotions. And I am already looking forward to the 55th. And I thank the Lord for the good friends, the good memories, and the health to be able to participate in the 50th. God has been good to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing Uncle Barry

Marc