Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Time Marches On

Yesterday was Grandparents Day. Some grandparents did special things like have a picture of them and their grandchildren placed in the newspaper. The Lancaster Sunday News had a special edition with many pages of such pictures. We didn't do that. I am not normally one to carry around pictures and show them to everyone and brag about how gifted and wonderful they are. But that doesn't mean that I'm not very proud of them and I do tell them that and try to encourage them. This week, for the very first time, all seven of them will now be in school, in grades 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, K, and preschool. Time marches on and they are growing up so fast. Two weeks ago we went to see Zachary who has joined the Hempfield band and is playing in their pit as a tympani player. He actually can play more than seven different instruments. We prayed for Josh as he tried out for the Warwick golf team and our prayers were answered and he is now on the team. He also regularly plays piano offertories in our church. We went to see Taylor play soccer yesterday for the Penn Manor travel team. Noah is an excellent french horn and piano player while Chloe plays the violin and piano. Lexie and Brodie are just starting school and they are creative and full of energy. All of our grandchildren are avid readers - most of them reading way beyond their grade levels - and they are excellent students. So we do have so much to be thankful for. God has been good to us. But, despite all of this, we pray for them daily. I pray that they might develop a passion for the Lord and serving Him. I pray that they might understand that living a life for Christ is the most important thing. I even pray that the Lord will prepare Godly spouses for them. I also write notes to encourage them to use their gifts for the Lord. For you see, the most important things I can do as their grandfather is to set an example with a life that shows God's faithfulness and cover them with prayer each day of their lives. Grandparents can have a special influence in the lives of their children. Mine had a major impact on my life and my parents and in-laws had an eternal impact on the lives of my boys. Fortunate indeed are children who have godly grandparents who know how to pray and encourage. Steve Chapman fasts for his children each Wednesday and he has written a song about his prayer called "Wednesday's Prayer". I have the words hanging above my desk and I pray them almost daily. You can find the words on my website at "Wednesday's Prayer". And, after taking them before God's throne in prayer, I must leave them in the Lord's hands and allow His Spirit to do the work that I can't do. I guess that I could go around showing their pictures to everyone, but the picture I most desire to see and show is the picture of all seven of them, with all of their parents, standing with Dianne and me, on the golden streets of Heaven. That will be glory for me!

No comments: