Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

No Tomorrow

Last night we learned of the sudden death of a 24 year-old father whose parents attend our church. He leaves a wife and four children. I think that there are many difficult situations in this life that could happen to a person. The most difficult is probably the death of a spouse. The pain and loneliness of that separation is beyond description. But close behind is the death of one of your children, especially a sudden death. We don't know what tomorrow may hold for us. Death is inevitable. Our days are numbered and we should learn not to put off doing important things such as telling a loved one that we love them … or apologizing for something you have done … or visiting a parent or a loved one… or resolving a dispute with someone, especially a family member … or sharing the gospel with a co-worker … or giving a friend a hug or a complement … or thanking somebody who has done something for you. So often when a friend or loved one dies suddenly, we live with regrets … if only. Tonight I also found out that one of my aunts died. Even though she was in her 90's, her mind was clear. The last time we visited her she shared all sorts of interesting stories that I had never heard about my mother and her family. I was eager to go back and learn more and identify folks in photographs. So much of my mother's background was lost 17 years ago when my mother was killed in an auto accident. But I waited too long to return to visit Aunt Anna and now many family stories are lost forever. If only … Nobody like to talk about death, but unless the Lord returns, we will all face death. So first of all we need to be sure our lives are right with the Lord, that we have accepted His free gift of forgiveness and new life. But then, secondly, we should make sure our lives are right with our loved ones and our friends. When my mother was killed, we were so thankful that the night before her death we visited her, not even thinking it would be the last time we'd be with her on this earth. And so the death of my aunt and the death of this young father challenge me not to put off until tomorrow what can, or better yet, what should be done today. For tomorrow on this earth may never come.

No comments: