Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Giving Up Facebook

This morning, an article in the newspaper drew my attention to the subject of Lent. To learn more about this, I went to Wikipedia and here is what it says. "Lent, in Catholic tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Conventionally, it is described as being forty days long … This practice was virtually universal in Christendom until the Protestant Reformation. Some Protestant churches do not observe Lent, but many, such as Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, and Episcopalians, do." That is interesting … through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and selfdenial … self-denial of what? Chocolate? Desserts? Or, as the morning newspaper says … Facebook! Now I shouldn't question anyone's motives, but giving up Facebook and getting public recognition for it doesn't seem to me like great preparation for celebrating the death and ressurection of Christ. But then, in my mind, neither does giving up chocolate. But the newspaper and area college students think it does. We had a very meaningful Good Friday service last evening and we were reminded of the unbelievable suffering of the Lord Jesus, for us. Nothing can begin to measure up to that event which changed history. And nothing we can give up can adequately prepare us to celebrate that event, certainly not giving up Facebook for 40 days. Not that giving up Facebook isn't a good idea. I still remain a member, but I tire of reading things like … I feel lazy today … I can't wait for the weekend … What can I make for supper? … I scored 500 points today in Farkle … I slept in this morning … I'm bored … and all the other extraordinary comments which frequent the wall. And I don't think giving up this time-waster is that great a sacrifice … especially for Lent … unless you use that time to spend with the Lord, thanking and praising Him, for the wondrous sacrifice and free gift of eternal life. And maybe making a sacrifice for Him would be more appropriate to done for 365 days rather than just 40. Oh well, that isn't for me to judge, is it? It is a personal matter between you and the Lord. So, last night we remembered and celebrated His death. Friday was here, but Sunday is coming! He is Risen! PTL!

No comments: