Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Facebook???

I am on Facebook. Most of the time I'm not sure why I am on it. The majority of my "friends" never post and never respond to my posts. But I do enjoy hearing from some friends every once in awhile and hearing what is happening in their lives. I do enjoy seeing some of the pictures of things happening to them. But there are many things that disturb me about posts I see. For example, I just don't enjoy seeing pregnant women post pictures of their bare enlarging stomachs. Now I grew up in a time when folks didn't even use the word "pregnant" and I guess I think such personal pictures are just for the couple - not for the world to see. Then there are those who share their plans to be away from home. That could be like telling a thief my home is wide open for you to visit while I am gone. Then there are the personal love messages to each other shared by married, engaged, or dating couples. Some how I think those messages should be shared privately with each other, not the world. But if that isn't enough, I've noticed that usually when men share such love messages publicly, loads of other women respond and tell him how great and thoughtful he is. Those responses bother me. Are these women wishing their boyfriend or husband would tell them such things? I think this could potentially be a dangerous situation. But then I am old-fashioned. I'm also bothered by the folks who appear to spend hours on Facebook playing games. I also note teens who are posting during school hours through their phones. Maybe the phones need to be confiscated unless they are earning straight A's. Don't folks have anything better to do with their time? And speaking about time, Facebook has become a major use of time in the lives of many in today's society. Yesterday we ate at Denny's. A young mother and her daughter - probably a second grader - sat in the booth next to us. They both had their laptops. They both were on Facebook. We ordered and ate before they were even ready to place their order. And during that time they didn't even talk to each other. What a sad waste of what could have been mother-daughter quality time together. Maybe my granddaughter has the right idea. She has closed her Facebook account because it was taking too much of her time. Now that might be the best reaction to Facebook.

1 comment:

Pink Dinosaur said...

wish there were more people out there with "old fashion" values. I am worried about the state of America. esp. with facebook, I think old fashion values, and Christian values and beliefs are turned completely around from something we should take pride in to "who are you for saying Christ is the only way" or "who are you for wanting to control what I can post". IDK.