Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Schools In Crisis?

I have spent 51 years in the public schools of Pennsylvania. They have been good years. Twelve of those were as a student in four different districts. I feel that I received a quality education that prepared me for the future. Thirty-nine of those were as a teacher/administrator. I am proud of those years. I believe that we provided a quality education, for all abilities, while being very frugal with our funds. My biggest problem during those years wasn't with the students, administrators, boards or parents. My biggest problem was with the legislators who were continually making decisions - often bad ones - that affected my classroom and my students. Each new administration would throw out the policies of the previous administration and implement new programs, often costly, of their own. We could expect major changes every four or eight years. And these changes were usually politically maneuvers made by folks who never spent a day teaching in a public classroom. But I guess because they were once students, they felt they knew all the answers. Now my present concern is that the politicians are killing our public school system in this state. Here are four reasons I feel that way. First, the legislators passed a new pension bill a decade ago to increase their own pensions. To get it passed they included the public teachers who never even asked for the change. But they never fully funded the new plan. With a funding crisis coming they again failed to solve the problem and passed the bill on to the local districts and future generations. The crisis is now hitting and local school districts are stuck trying to fund these huge deficits. Second, the new governor, in an effort to cut the state deficit, has cut drastically funds for the local districts. The new budget calls for $800 million dollars in cuts for K-12 schools. This comes at a time when schools are also faced with the pension funding crisis. And what is happening? Schools are making drastic cuts, eliminating programs and firing about 10,000 teachers throughout the state. I agree that cuts are needed to eliminate the state budget deficit but why make education bear the brunt of it? Why not cut the legislature which is one of the largest in the nation? Oh, but politicians would never cut their positions - especially with the fat pensions they have approved for themselves. Reason number three - the governor is pushing for a voucher system. And those of you who support private schools are probably excited about it. They are saying that it is just for the poor students, but once it is approved, like other government programs, it will expand. And again, the money will come from the local districts. More schools will be in financial distress if they lose students and funding. But, of course, if you have a strong athletic program, good athletes will want to move to your school. Without a voucher system, that already happens statewide with the parochial schools. If you don't believe that, just look at the teams who have won the state basketball play-offs the last few years. Fourth, there is a push to make school budgets subject to a vote by the local taxpayers. Now come on, who would ever vote for a tax hike no matter how necessary it may be. I think such votes have already happened a number of times around the state and only once did it pass. The secret is to elect good board members who will exercise proper control. But only about 12% of the voters take time to show up for such elections. But to vote against a tax hike, the turnout will be much higher. Well there is my basis for my concern. Schools will never again be what we remember. And as legislators continue to attack them, public education can only get worse. And that isn't a great prospect for our nation.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Dear Barry, you don't know me but I want to thank you for this blog. I also live in PA (Willow Grove)so we must not be too far apart. What an awesome blog you have put together! Praise the Lord! Thank you.

Jerry said...

I don't blog but I have an email peregrini53@gmail.com What brought me to your blog was I googled the song "Wonderful, Merciful, Savior" I love it. Your post about the sate of our school system was right on. I've been following what the legislators have been doing. God bless you, we truly need a merciful Savior at such a time as this.