Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, August 12, 2011

It's Coming!

It's coming! I can feel it! My favorite season will soon be here. I love the cooler temperatures. I love the colored leaves. I love the fields filled with pumpkins. I enjoy the smells of burning leaves and wood burning in fireplaces. And I love football. Now the calendar certainly indicates that Fall should soon be here. But here are my top ten indicators that tell me it is coming quickly.
10. It's getting dark earlier - daylight is really getting shorter.
9. High school sports teams are beginning to practice and today, in the mail, we received the school calendar for the coming year. It's on its way!
8. We're getting sick of reruns on television. They aren't too bad the second time, but the third time - boring. Bring on the new shows.
7. Garden stores are beginning to sell mums. I love to see mums bloom in Fall.
6. People are beginning to talk about wild card teams for the October baseball play-offs. Hopefully the Phillies won't need to worry about winning a wild card spot this year unless they begin to fall apart. And that has happened to the Phillies before.
5. Advertising for Awana begins, I have meetings each Wednesday beginning next week and I am spending hours getting everything ready to go again - for the 30th year.
4. Our tomatoes are all getting ripe at the same time. We are living on tomato sandwiches and tomato salads ... and we have tomatoes, and tomatoes and tomatoes!
3. The kids are counting how many days of vacation are left until school begins. The parents probably began doing that in June.
2. The cicadas are singing loudly and the cicada killers are busy attacking them and digging up our yard.
1. And my number one indicator is that the Penn State football board has started its countdown to the first kickoff. While I am writing this, the clock says there are 21 days, 14 hours, 12 minutes and 53 seconds until the opening kickoff. And when you read this blog the clock will already be much closer to 0 0 0 0! Let's go Lions.
Ready or not, here comes Fall!

No comments: