Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Tradition, Tradition

Over the past few years I have begun to realize how important it is for parents to establish traditions for their children and to do things to pass their legacy to future generations. This has become an important activity and goal for me and I have done numerous things to pass my godly heritage to my children, grandchildren and maybe someday even to my great grandchildren. I have had the opportunity to share this concern and some ideas at Pinebrook and in a Sunday School class years ago, but it is not a "hot" topic and there seems to be little interest in it. But most families do have traditions. Some are better than others. One of ours is that we annually host a birthday dinner for each of our grandchildren. They get to select the menu. We have had everything from pizza to ham to hoagies to chicken pot pie, and much more. Then we make them a special cake. Each year, until they are 13, the cake is a special shape that has some special significance in their lives. Once they are 13 they receive a cake in the shape of a heart but they still may decide what kind of cake and icing we should make. As part of our tradition, we always sing together the prayer which goes "We thank thee Lord for this our food, God is love, God is love. But most of all for Jesus' blood, God is love, God is love. These mercies bless and grant that we may live and feast and reign with Thee, may live and feast and reign with Thee, God is love, God is love. Amen". And all learn the words and participate. I recall having sung this at family gatherings on my father's side since I was a toddler. It is one tradition that I want to continue to pass on. The cakes have been a challenge. I do most of the designing, Dianne does the baking, and we share the decorating. I've just placed 18 pictures of some of these on my Facebook wall. One of our granddaughters has had a butterfly, a castle, a cat (her pet), a horse (her hobby), a piano, a dolphin, and a violin. Her sister has had a Christmas tree, a cat, a panda, a teddy bear, a reindeer, a Christmas stocking (her birthday is near Christmas), and a bicycle. A grandson has received a crown (he used our King puppet in Awana) and a football. Another granddaughter received a soccer ball, a soccer ball (guess what sport she likes), a roller coaster, and a blonde wig (she had the lead in a church musical and dressed with a blonde wig). A grandson has received an ark (guess what his name is), a Sparky (an award won in Awana), a snowman, a french horn (guess what he plays), a Brian Westbrook uniform, and an angel (he had the lead in a church musical as an angel). Pictures of each of these are included in the annual family DVD which I make each Christmas for the families. Traditions are important as are other activities for sharing your legacy - maybe I'll need to write blogs about some of these ideas in the future. However, many of my writings and pictures can be found on my web site, fbfawana.com. Well we have another birthday this Sunday - number 11 for one of my granddaughters. She has asked for ham loaf, mashed potatoes, french green beans, chocolate cake with white icing and Lady Liberty ice cream. And her cake is done! It's her favorite of the three instruments which she plays - a trumpet. A two-layer trumpet which is made from two flat cakes. And you have a special preview of the finished product - just don't tell her about it or you'll spoil the Sunday surprise.

No comments: