Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Mighty Oak

It was only a few feet tall when I planted it about 40 years ago. It had a sharp bend in its narrow trunk and I feared that it would grow with that bend getting worse and making the tree unstable. Year after year it grew, taller and taller, and the bend became less noticeable. In fact that little plant became a tall, strong, mighty oak which reached to the sky and spread its branches over a portion of our yard. For years it provided shade and protection from the strong winds. Its acorns provided food for a variety of animals. But then, after many years, it was hit by a disease and many of its branches lost their leaves. Finally it was time to take it down. And last week that was done. Its work in our yard was done. The mighty oak has fallen. And now there is an empty space. One can now see the sky where the branches blocked the view before. It seems strange to realize that it is gone. This event has made me think of the many mighty oaks that I have known who have grown tall and strong, have provided me with a season of wisdom and protection, and then when their tasks in this life have been done, they have passed on. I think of my grandfather, Pastor Norman Wolf, who was a tremendous man of God. I had the special opportunity to spend much time in his home where I could see his concern for others and his Godly spirit. I saw how some folks treated him unfairly in his latter years and yet he never complained or talked about them. He was a strong oak in my life. Then there was my father who taught me how to work, how to serve, and how to face the difficulties of life trusting the Lord. I saw how he took care of his family after the war when jobs were scarce. I saw how that everything he had really belonged to the Lord. I know how he gave behind the scenes, without any credit or public attention. I saw how he reacted when he lost his job after 25 years with the company. And I saw his real faith when mother was killed in a car accident and he continued with life, trusting and serving the Lord. A big oak in my life. And of course, I must include my mother, who stayed at home to raise the three of us. She knew how to live with very little for many years. She modeled being a servant and ministering to others. There are others, like Pastor Jansen Hartman, a close friend of my father and my pastor for several years. He had a genuine love for others, including me, and a sincere concern about my spiritual growth. As a teen he challenged me with questions about my faith which made me think deeply about what I believed. Another strong oak in my life. And of course there was my brother, Terry, who God called home much too soon for me. Terry was an encourager to others and especially to me. His spiritual growth and ministry to others were both a challenge and an encouragement to me. Watching his faith grow as his cancer progressed was a real testimony and something I shall never forget. Another big oak in my life. And there were others that I could mention such as my father-in-law, Glenn Bickle, who modeled a faithful prayer life and personal evangelism ... my former pastor, Pastor John Dunn, who trusted and affirmed me and helped me mature in many leadership positions ... Uncle Bob and Aunt Thelma Smock who gave me a vision for ministering to children and helped shepherd me during my teen years .... and of course, my uncle John and aunt Ellen Derck, who led me to the Lord and have influenced my life for over 70 years. I thank the Lord for bringing all of these Godly people - my mighty oaks - into my life at various times. My life has been changed by my experiences with them. But like the oak tree in our yard, for some of them there came a time when their work on earth was done and I miss them. For others, their influence still affects my daily walk and ministry. One is very fortunate to have a big oak in one's life. Many, like me, have been blessed to have several. As you get older the big oaks become fewer and you long for their strength and encouragement. And you just pray that you may have learned well the lessons they have taught you and that, in turn, maybe the Lord will allow you to be a big oak for someone else who comes behind. That is my prayer.

No comments: