Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Photo License


It came in the mail - the dreaded photo card to have my photo license renewed.  You know the drill - go wait in line to have a nasty picture taken of you that you must carry in your wallet for the next four years.  Maybe the process of getting this done is why the Democrats are against requiring a photo ID to vote.  Maybe they would rather wait in line at election than wait in line for a photo license.  I was hoping that if I timed it right I could get it done in about 15 minutes - wrong!  When I arrived at the center I was surprised to see it packed.  It was an interesting picture of present Americana.  There were a few Caucasians, as well as many Spanish, some Afro-Americans, Vietnamese, Indians and who knows what else.  Nobody was working at the registration desk.  The clerk was probably out to lunch - I mean literally out to lunch.  I was fourth in line.  But I was probably smarter than the rest - I could read.  And there was a sign, actually in English, that told us to push one of two buttons depending upon why we were there.  So I quietly slipped ahead, pushed one of the buttons and received a number slip - just like at the meat counter.  I was number A008 and it said my waiting time would be 0 minutes!  Really?  That turned out to not mean anything.  So I found an empty seat near the front where I could watch the action.  I enjoy sitting and watching people.  Then I suddenly realized that they were processing number A082.  Now I was worried.  Did that mean I was 927 people from being served.  I decided to wait a little longer.  Maybe after A099 it would go back to A000 and start over.  At least I hoped so.  I calculated that it was taking about 6 or 7 minutes to process each number, so I know a 15 minute wait was just a pipe dream.  After a long wait I found that I was right - the numbers did jump back to A000.  Maybe that arithmetic is how the government really counts and operates, that is if they have any plan at all.  Then my hopes increased.  Several folks did not respond when their number was called and it quickly moved to A007.  But alas, older customer A007 wasn't satisfied with her signature and they had to do that over three times.  Then she didn't like her photograph and they did that over three times.  But finally it was my turn.  I didn't like my signature either but I kept it.  I didn't like my photo either, but I kept it.  Who really cares?  Then I was told to go sit on a chair and wait for my new license to be printed.  Well that provided two more adventures.  First, the printing machine broke down and had to be fixed.  Second, while I sat there a burly Spanish man had his three year old daughter sit next to me.  She decided to rub my arm with her hand and then she rubbed my leg with her shoe.  I was getting concerned.  Would I be accused of something like child molestation?  If the father saw me would he hit me or even worse ....  In this day and age who knows!  But thank the Lord they got the machine fixed and my license was completed.  And I got out of there as quickly as I could.  And that was my trip.  Just think, in four years I can do it again.  That's the good old American way!  And just remember  it will probably be your turn next.

1 comment:

Pink Dinosaur said...

Hi Berry-Keep rambling. I enjoy reading. :-)