Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Corn Wagon


Recently we dropped by the famous Corn Wagon located on route 741 near New Danville.  It is about 10 minutes from our house. This farm market has become a favorite shopping place for vegetable bargain hunters from all around.  In fact, we have friends from Northumberland County who annually make the trip just to purchase corn.  From spring to fall the Brenneman family sells fresh produce, straight from their fields.  You can purchase home grown Asparagus,  Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower Eggplants, Green Beans , Hot Peppers (jalapeño & cayenne), Peaches, Peppers, Red Beets, Romanesco, Tomatoes, Turnips and Zucchini in season.  But the most popular crop is sweet corn, white and bi-color varieties.  Not only is it fresh, but you can't beat the prices.  Earlier this week the white corn was 13 ears for $3.00.  The day we were there it had dropped to 13 for $2.50.  And from the looks of the bountiful corn crops in Lancaster County - beautiful fields of corn for miles and miles - the price will soon drop to 13 for $2.00 and possibly even lower.  When we arrived there were probably 25 - 30 customers waiting.  Two large wagons had already been emptied and another wagon was on its way.  In a few minutes the next wagon, straight from the fields, rolled in and the crowd pushed and shoved to start grabbing the newly picked ears.  My wife was almost knocked over by one anxious shopper.  We bagged 26 ears, escaped to pay for it and then head home.  
     Everything is on the honor system and I imagine that many of these buyers cheat the Brennemans by taking more than they pay for.  That is sad, but a fact of life in today's society.  Some roadside stand owners in the county have had to install cameras and other security devices to catch thieves. Not much honor today. Many of those caught are tourists but there are some dishonest locals as well.  After our purchase we headed home to freeze the corn. Besides fresh corn on the cob, the next best thing is frozen corn right off the cob during the winter .  When we saw how nice the corn was I decided to go back to get another 26 ears.  A new wagon of fresh corn had arrived just before I got there so I again was able to quickly choose what I wanted.  Incidentally, a crowd was again there filling up their bags.  
     It seems that every time we pass by their location, there are loads of people waiting to buy.  And why not?  Fresh produce, right out of the field, at a great price.  We had just seen corn at our local grocery store - five ears for $3.99.  It was already husked and nicely cleaned, but doing that is just part of the enjoyment of the season in God's Country, Lancaster County.  And was the store bought corn fresh?  Probably a few days ago.  I'll gladly take my $10 purchase rather than the store bought for about $40!  And this winter I will enjoy it, down to the very last kernel.  If you've never been there, make it a point someday to visit the Corn Wagon.  It is an experience.


No comments: