Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Where Have Good Manners Gone?


Yesterday I had a major surprise.  We were at Pinebrook waiting for the dining hall to open.  Outside the entrance door are two benches.  As usual they were filled with children and teens who were also waiting to eat.  It was hot and a number of us "old folks" were standing. Almost never do one of these younger folks think to offer a seat to the older ones who would really like to sit. Of course, neither do the young adults who often camp there.  Either they have never been taught good manners or they just don't have any respect for seniors.  But to my surprise, one young lady kindly offered us her seat.  And what made it extra surprising was that she was crippled and on crutches and had every reason to be seated.  We could not take her seat and I kindly thanked her for her thoughtfulness and good manners.  And, of course, when the doors opened, all the children and teens ran to be the first in the dining hall, nearly running over those of us who were waiting.  But this is no different than what I have observed and experienced elsewhere, although it is very disappointing that those most likely from Christian homes would be this rude.  A few days ago when I was walking at Park City, a young girl came around the corner – on the wrong side of the hall – and almost bumped into me.  Of course she was busy texting on her phone.  She actually refused to get out of my way and I was forced to move.  I "thanked her" for her "good manners".  I don't think she had any idea of what I was saying to her.  Seldom do the teens at Park City get out of the way of seniors who are walking.  Seldom do they allow seniors to go through the entrance doors before them.  And, of course, they must always use the automatic doors – I guess the others are too hard for them to open. Do they have no respect for older adults?  At church I often get disappointed during our coffee and conversation time.  I get my coffee and try to walk out of the area only to be bumped and pushed by children who are running to get their drinks and treats.  Sometimes my coffee has spilled.  Have they never been taught good manners?  Do their parents know how they are acting?  Do their parents even care?  Now I admit that I am getting old.  And I know that I am having more problems getting around and with my balance.  But I'm not really looking for special favors.  What I would like to see is some good manners and respect for older people – especially for those older than I am.  But maybe that, too, is a thing of the past.  But, thankfully, there are still a few members of the younger generation, such as the crippled girl at Pinebrook, who still model good manners, thoughtfulness and respect.

No comments: