Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Favorite Season



      I am thankful that I live in an area where we can experience all four seasons.  The variety is very special.  However, there is no question that Fall is definitely my favorite season and I wish that it lasted a little longer. It is so hard to see it end! If only Summer and especially Winter were just a month shorter.  Here are a few of the reasons I love the Fall.
1.   The beautiful colors - there is nothing more spectacular in nature than God's handiwork in the Fall.  The oranges, browns, reds, yellows with some green sprinkled in, can be amazing.  I love to drive through the mountains and observe miles of beauty.  Unfortunately this year the time of beauty was short and there weren't too many reds, but it was still beautiful.
       2.     The cooler temperatures - I really love this time because we can sleep with covers on at night and yet it is not bitterly cold as it gets in the Winter.  It is nice to be able to wear a light jacket outside and not get soaked with perspiration as we do in the Summer.

       3.     Savings in bills - during this season the ac can usually be turned off, cutting down the electric bills.  The heat isn't needed yet so I save on oil costs which continue to rise.  This really helps in the family budget.

       4.     Football - football, especially college football, has become my favorite sport and Saturdays can be filled with exciting games.  I like baseball, but the game is slow and so long without much action. I also like basketball but the pros are overpaid and the NCAA tournament is too short - although I do enjoy that.  But there is nothing like watching a fast paced football game, especially if you can go and watch it in person, especially at Penn State or at a local high school.   We haven't been able to afford going to Penn State as we used to, but I have been able to get to many of Penn Manor's games, and they have had great teams recently.  Another plus is that I can get into the Penn Manor home games without a charge and that is a plus for the budget.
      5.    Mums - I think mums are my favorite flower and I love to see them bloom in such a variety of beautiful colors.  I have enjoyed visits to Eve's Garden, near Millersville, where she had a huge field of beautiful mums to sell.  It was fun just to view them.
      6.    The smell of burning leaves -  this is a unique smell in this season which is hard to describe if you never smell it.  It lets you know that Fall is here.
       7.     Corn stalks and pumpkins - unfortunately they signal the close of this special season but it is special to travel through Lancaster County and see the fields filled with these.  More of God's beauty during this season.
        But alas the season must come to an end and then we prepare for the dark nights, the cold weather and the snow of Winter.  But there is the joy in knowing that Fall will return again.  I am reminded of the words from the great hymn, "Summer and winter and springtime and harvest ... join with all nature is manifold witness, to Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love."  So take some time while you still can to enjoy the special beauty of the Fall and as you do, thank God for His great faithfulness!

No comments: