Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Turning Another Page


          Last Tuesday I completed another phase of my life.  It was my 17th and final time serving as Judge of Elections for our Manor New East voting precinct.  My wife and I have officially retired by not running for another four year term.  It has been an interesting experience and I admit that part of me will miss it, especially the part of working with a good team.  But times have changed and I have gotten older. 

          I would like to think that our precinct was one of the best run during our years of leadership.  We were able to process the folks very quickly and seldom did anyone have to wait very long to vote.  However, never in 17 years of service did any of my bosses ever tell me that we did a good job or thank me personally for my work.  I guess that is par for the course.  I was told one time that I had packed some unused materials in the wrong container.  But that was the extent of any personal feedback that I ever received.  
          Generally the folks that we served were very patient and kind.  However, I did take some abuse from those who were upset about photo ID's (even though they weren't required) and having Spanish on the ballots (required by federal law).  I did have a run-in with a poll watcher who said I was picking on him when I was just enforcing the law.  But otherwise it was a pleasure to serve our voters.
          Our precinct was unique in the way that I handled things.  Our workers rotated jobs every 30 minutes to keep them fresh and I even gave them breaks to eat and go to the restroom four times a day.  The day was officially 14 hours long plus several hours for setup, cleanup, and writing reports.  That was too long a period for one person to sit and do the same job.  Believe it or not, we even opened our morning with prayer - I probably could have gotten fired for doing that, but my staff all excepted that.  And I did have a great and faithful staff.  Finding good people to serve is the toughest part of the job.
          I served through the period of transitions with two moves of our polling place to new locations and the change from lever machines to the scantron and e-slate.  We sat through hours of training sessions over the years.  I did get some pay - I figure about $4.50 an hour with no reimbursement for the 30-40 miles I would put on my car each election cycle.  But one doesn't serve for money.  It was a pleasure to serve my country.
          Now why am I retiring?  Well it is a very stressful process which I don't need anymore.  It is a commitment in one's personal calendar without any sick or personal days.  One of my best friends was buried on a voting day and we had to work.  Without any positive feedback from the bosses, there was no encouragement to continue. Maybe I'll finally get some positive feedback next Spring when they discover that they must replace me and my entire team.  But even if they do, it's too late and I'm done.  Also, some rules are being changed and this will limit the number of staff members that I can hire and will also take the choice of staff members out of my hand.  I'm not sure that I could deal with that.  And to continue would have meant canvassing to get signatures of voters on my petition, then running for office, and then making a four year, eight election, commitment.  So I've made the decision to just meet my obligation in the future as a voter and let somebody else deal with all the paper work and stress
          But it has been a good run and a joy to have served my country in this way.

No comments: