Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Technology Fun!


If I were 50 years younger I think I would train for and seek a career in something involving technology.  The new technology intrigues me, but I am just a rookie and know so little about it.  Don't be misled with the facts that I have a website and two blogs or that I established the first high school computer lab in Lancaster County or that I introduced scientific and graphing calculators to math classrooms or that I was once named a National Computer Educator of the year.  I really am just an amateur feeling his way along through this exploding field.  One of the things I miss most about teaching is the fact that our district was one of the leaders in technology and regularly held great inservice programs.  Then I felt almost up to date with what was happening, but now that seems like another lifetime.
          I have recently been bothered by my lack of knowledge in several situations.  I received an advertisement from Mackiev Software about the release of Print Shop 3 for Mac.  It had many new and improved features over the version I have been using.  And they offered a special introductory deal, for two days, of $29.99 for the package or $49.99 for the software for three computers.  So to be honest, I ordered the three pack so we could use it on two of our computers.  I paid the bill and then downloaded the software.  But when I went to use it I realized that I needed a new operating system.  It wouldn't work with my system and I couldn't upgrade because then my website software wouldn't then work.  So I sent four e-mails (no phone number or address was available) to the software company asking for a refund.   They failed to answer any of the four.  I went to my credit card company to stop payment.  They wouldn't do it because the bill had to be at least $50.  Mine was $49.99!  So I lost $49.99.  Lesson learned, hopefully.
Now I have had some experience with changing operating systems.  In fact we have four computers because of that.  The two oldest use an early operating system because the newer systems won't handle the church software that I am using.  The two newer ones can handle the website program that I use.  To move to a newer versions would cost me over $600 to replace that software.  There must be an easier way.
I also have been having problems with one of my blogs.  The first minor problem was that it always opened at the middle of the blog, not the beginning.  I had no idea how to solve that, so I put up with it.  Then I began to get messages that my blog - actually it was that of another blogger - had been discontinued.  Nobody could help me eliminate this misleading message.  But people could still read my blog and I could still get in and make changes and additions.  So I put up with it.  Then it got worse.  Suddenly when I tried to get into my blog or even leave it I was sent to some buddyhost proxy page and I could no longer get into my blog.  At least some readers were having the same problem and my readership began to drop.

First I thought that I must have picked up a virus so I went to the Apple store at Park City.  This is a free service that is one of the major reasons I keep using Apple products.  I talked to a man who could speak English.  He assured me that Macs can't get viruses - another reason I am an Apple man.  He tested my entire system and removed some files that were making it run slower.  While he couldn't fix my problem he did recommend that I contact Google about it.  I tried doing that but they never responded.  Thank you Google!
I decided to ask my youngest son about it.  The younger you are the more you understand technology.  He had no idea but suggested that I search the internet to see if others had a similar problem.  I did and I reached a site that had only seven comments, most of which were from people having the very same frustration as I was.  One person did say that they had removed some of his plug-ins and the problem was resolved.  I had no idea what a plug-in was, let alone how to get rid of them.  But I did access my blog and removed some of the automatic features that I had added, including a calendar.  And guess what?  The problem was resolved.  Thank you Lord!
Oh yes, I also have had problems with my mail software.  When I contact AOL about it, it eventually gets fixed.  But it requires me to try and communicate with folks who speak English as a third or fourth language.  What fun that is!  And I don't want to change companies because we have used our e-mail address for years and so much is tied into that address.
But when technology is working well, it can be so much fun and such a time saver. If only I had somebody to patiently teach me more about the technology.  But while my spirit might be willing, I'm not sure if my old traditional mind could absorb and retain it.  It helps when you are only about 16.
        P.S. - After getting my credit card company to agree and then placing a hold on my payment, the software company then spent about a week rewriting their software so that it would work with my operating system.  So, once again, I've learned that it does pay to complain - even if you aren't a "techie"!

No comments: