Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Tragedy



        Tragedy - we don't know when it will happen and it comes when we least expect it.  We pray that it will never happen to us.  We fear that telephone call or notification that changes our lives forever.  But tragedy does happen ... hopefully to somebody else.
          Tragedy affected our life this past week when we received word that the son of a good missionary  friend of ours was killed in a horrendous auto accident.  Many of you know the details.  Josh Allen, a thirty year old pastor from New Mexico, was on his way to the airport to pick up his twin brother.  A 24 year old male driver, going 90 mph in the wrong lane, hit Josh head on, killing him instantly.  At home, waiting for his return was his wife and nine month old son.  They had planned to celebrate his wife's birthday the next day.  Josh had no life insurance.  This tragedy has impacted and changed the lives of his family and child, as well as the small growing church which he served.
          The stunned reaction to this tragedy is to question God.  Why would a loving God allow this to happen to a fine young man who was serving Him.   Some would also blame God for this tragedy.  And such questions are normal and expected.  Even the Psalmist often questioned God.  And the truth is, we will never know the answers this side of heaven.  God's ways can be mysterious and unknown to we humans.  And, as hard as it often is, we need to claim God's promises, such as "all things work together for good to those who love God".  We need to believe that God is good, all the time, even when our world is falling apart.
         Several of our close friends have also had similar tragedies involving family members. I, too, have experienced such an event.  I will never forget receiving the telephone call from my son telling me that my parents were in an accident and my mother was killed.  Those are moments you never forget.  Our lives were changed forever.  But God did give us incredible peace during those days.  And, looking back now, we realize that this accident did save mother from the possibility of years of suffering and possible stays in hard places like nursing homes.  It is so sad to see older folks suffer in their senior years, especially when things like dementia kick in.  Mother never had to go through those years.  Instantly absent from this world and present with the Lord.
        Now one of the problems we face when friends go through tragedy is how to respond.  It upset me when people said things like "she's better off".  That was certainly true, but nothing I wanted to hear at that time.  And what really bothered me were those who quoted scripture such as there is "rejoicing in heaven".  At that time I didn't care at all about rejoicing there when we were grieving here.  I hoped that those who said they were praying for us really were and not just using that as a "Christian" greeting. Then there were those who said "if we can be of any help, please call us".   To me that was a cop out.  They didn't really want to do anything and they knew we wouldn't call them.  They were off the hook.  We started responding that  if they really wanted to do something they should take dad out to eat sometime.  A few did, the vast majority did not.  

         Now there were a few things that were done that were really appreciated.  We enjoyed the food donations - we certainly didn't feel like cooking at that time.  Then there was one person who was considered an "outcast" among many of our friends who brought a huge platter of lunch meat and cheese and rolls and spent time talking with us.  Sadly many of our other "friends" did nothing.  Then there was a family, again considered by many as outsiders or different, who unexpectedly showed up at our home and cleaned up all of our November leaves.  Wow, was that an unexpected help that we have never forgotten. That was Christianity in action. And of all the sympathy cards that we received, we especially appreciated those where folks wrote personal notes and shared memories of my mother.  They meant so much more to us than most of the cards which contained nothing more than just a stock message.
          As I began to read the many messages about Pastor Josh Allen on Facebook, many of those memories came back.  Finally, I challenged all of those who were posting to put their words into action and do something practical, such as sending donations to help meet the huge financial needs.  Please don't misunderstand what I am saying, prayer is essential, but sometimes we need to put our prayers into action.  I am hoping that many will respond to the Allens in this practical way in this time of great need.
         I pray that the Lord will give all of the Allen family strength, wisdom, and peace in the midst of this tragedy.  And yes, I have backed up my words with action.

P.S. - For related comments, please go to my hymn blog for March 2 - http://barryshymns.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Nell Ruch said...

Thank you, Barry. Your paragraph about being careful re. what to say to the acutely grieving...so spot on. Both my niece and my sister are VERY godly women. Both voiced their inner resistance when people said something like, "It's so good to know they're with the Lord." Both said they too wanted mother Laura and son David right there beside them - still here on earth.

Words need to be lovingly, thoughtfully chosen...if anything is even PUT into words.

Praying for and giving to the Allen family's deep special needs.

Love, Nell Ruch, Hatfield, PA