Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter Memories



        "He is risen, He is risen indeed!"  And this is the vital, life changing message of Easter Day, the most important day in the life of a Christian.  I hope that today you've taken time to worship and celebrate the risen Lord.

          On Good Friday I was reading some messages on a special Facebook website which highlights the history of Lititz, my hometown.  Reading these messages brought back many of my interesting memories of the Easter season in Lititz.  It also made me realize how society has changed and how politically incorrect it has become to even talk about or celebrate the true meaning of this holiday.  For many it has been replaced by Spring Holidays with bunnies and candy as the focus.
          The discussion began with memories of days when elementary students were taken to local churches for special services on Good Friday.  I remember those days when we marched across the street from Lititz Elementary to participate in a service at the Evangelical Congregational Church.  Others remembered going down the street to the local Lutheran Church.  I don't recall ever being given an option, it was just part of our schedule and we attended.
          And during those years all the stores closed from noon to 3 pm so that employees could attend services.  At least that was the case in Lititz as well as in Sunbury where my wife lived.  In fact, during those hours her employer, a local bank, actually held a required service in the bank for its employees.  All were expected to attend.  As I said, times have changed.
          For us, Easter day itself was a very full day of both worship and time with our family.  We would generally attend special morning services in our church in Lancaster.  Our kids usually participated by saying pieces. Then we would drive to Lititz where the entire family would gather for a special Easter dinner prepared by my mother.  I don't know how she was able to pull all of this off, but somehow mothers do.  
           In the afternoon we usually had an Easter egg hunt for the kids in the backyard.  How well we remember the Easter that my brother-in-law cut his chin while trying to hide an egg on top of a pole.  He needed several stitches.When the weather was nice I would always love to take an afternoon walk around Lititz.  It is an amazing town to walk in and I really miss being able to do this.  
          Then we would have a quick evening meal which always included mother's delicious macaroni salad.  Since her death, nobody has ever been able to recreate this special treat that we all loved.  Many have tried, but all have failed.  Then we would rush back to church in Lancaster for our annual Easter cantata that most of us were involved in.  And that would wrap up an exciting but very busy day.
          But most things change.  Mother and dad and my brother now enjoy Easter in heaven.  We don't do cantatas or have evening services anymore.  I don't take my afternoon walk in Lititz.  Now we usually have our children and grandchildren at our house for dinner. My wife has replaced mother. We have an egg hunt.  Then everyone heads home.  And mother's macaroni salad is just a memory.
          But one thing does stay the same - the power of the Resurrection!

No comments: