Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Prime Time!


          I think today is a good time to give you a math challenge.  It's my birthday gift to you. Now please don't leave yet because this challenge really isn't too difficult.
This is a great day!  It's not really my birthday, it is the anniversary of my birth.  X number of years ago I was born in a hospital in Sunbury. My father was able to watch my appearance, something I never had the opportunity to do with the birth of my three sons. But sometime after my birth they tore down the hospital and moved it to another location.  I wonder if my birth had anything to do with that decision.  They never even asked me if they could do it.  But they did build a new junior high in that location so my wife could attend it more than a decade later.
But it is a great day because today I am "back in my prime" once again.  This the 21st time in my life that I have been "in my prime".  Actually I was "in my prime" just two years ago.  But last year I was just a composite.  Now what is special about this year is that if you reverse the digits of this 21st prime (my age) you get the 12th prime.  And I enjoy discovering patterns like that.  Now here is one to give it away.  Find the factors, other than 21 and 1, of 21 and that will give you the digits of my age.  Hint, choose the larger number that you can form.  At times I may wish that I were the smaller number that you can form, but I'll never come close to that age again.
          Actually, my age, X, is the same as the atomic number of tantalum. Tantalum is a greyish silver, heavy, and very hard metal. When pure, it is ductile and can be drawn into fine wire, which can be used as a filament for evaporating metals such as aluminium. Tantalum is almost completely immune to chemical attack at temperatures below 150°C, and is attacked only by hydrofluoric acid, acidic solutions containing the fluoride ion, and free sulphur trioxide. The element has a melting point exceeded only by tungsten and rhenium. Now there is a chemistry lesson given to you free of charge.  That may make your day!
  Now I really feel old when I tell you that I am actually 1001001 (a palindrome) expressed as a binary number.  Wow, that really is old.  And the sum of the first X odd primes is actually divisible by X.  Now there is a pattern for you.  And one last challenge for you.  Take the word NUMBER and to each letter in the word assign its position number in the alphabet.  Hint - N would be 14.  Then total the six numbers and you have X.  Try it, it's fun.
  So do you have it?  Now don't tell me you were never good in math.  I really am disappointed when somebody says that.  What you should say instead is something like "I never had a good math teacher".  And maybe you didn't and that is sad.  Math should be interesting and fun and anybody should be able to do it, at least the fundamentals.  Somehow it is socially acceptable today to say "I never was good at math", but you never hear anybody say " I was never good at reading".  It is a disgrace to admit you are bad at reading, but acceptable to say you are bad at math.  Go figure!
Oh yes, in case you didn't yet find the value of X, it is actually LXXIII.  Well I better start enjoying the next 12 months, because when they end it will be another six years until I am again prime!

No comments: