Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Encouragement part 3


          The second way that the Lord regularly encourages me is through Christian music, especially the old hymns of the church.  Growing up my family sang hymns all the time, especially when traveling in the car.  I learned by heart all the verses of many great hymns this way and the Lord continually brings them back to my mind.  In our senior years the Lord has given us the privilege of leading many hymn sings and we find so many folks miss the hymns so deeply.  I also have a weekly hymn blog and about 750 people visit this each week.
          Now I refuse to get drawn into the "church music wars" of hymns vs. praise choruses.  They each have a place in worship.  But my one concern about the praise choruses is that they change every few months.  Seldom do we sing one that we sang a year or two ago.  They appear to come and go and while they do minister to us at the time and enable us to worship, I can't help wonder what the younger generations will have to recall as they grow older.  I am so thankful for all the hymns which the Lord recalls to encourage me in various times of my life.
          For our October hymn sing at Pinebrook I choose the theme "Hymns of Encouragement".  Here are a few portions of some of the hymns that were included.

"Have we trials and temptations?  Is there trouble anywhere?  We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.  Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?  Jesus knows our every weakness; Take it to the Lord in prayer."  What A Friend We Have In Jesus by Joseph Scriven and Charles Converse.
"He giveth more grace as the burdens grow greater, He sendeth more strength as our labors increase; To added afflictions He addeth His mercy, To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.  His love has no limits, His grace has no measure, His power has no boundary known unto men; For out of His infinite riches in Jesus.  He giveth, and giveth and giveth again."  He Giveth More Grace by Annie Flint and Ray Steadman-Allen
"All your anxiety, all your care, bring to the mercy seat, leave it there, Never a burden He cannot bear, never a friend like Jesus."  All Your Anxiety by Edward Joy 1920
"O victory in Jesus, my Savior forever. He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood; He loved me ere I knew Him, and all my love is due Him.  He plunged me to victory beneath the cleansing flood."  Victory In Jesus by Eugene Bartlett
          "So amid the conflict, whether great or small, Do not be discouraged, God is overall; Count your many blessings, angels will attend, Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.  Count your many blessings, name them one by one ... Count your many blessings, see what God hath done."  Count Your Blessings by Edward Excell.
          "Jesus my Lord will love me forever, from Him no power of evil can sever; He gave His life to ransom my soul, now I belong to Him.  Now I belong to Jesus, Jesus belongs to me.  Not for the years of time alone, but for eternity."  Now I Belong To Jesus by Norman Clayton.
          "No matter what may be the test, God will take care of you; Lean weary one upon His breast, God will take care of you.   God will take care of you, through every day, O'er all the way.  He will take care of you, God will take care of you."  God Will Take Care of You by Stillman Martin.
           "What have I to dread, what have I to fear, Leaning on the everlasting arms.  I have blessed peace with my Lord so near, Leaning on the everlasting arms.  Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms; Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms."  Leaning On The Everlasting Arms by Anthony Showalter.
          "O safe to the Rock that is higher than I, my soul in its conflicts and sorrows would fly.  So sinful, so weary, thine, thine would I be.  Thou blest Rock of Ages, I'm hiding in Thee."  Hiding in Thee by Ira Sankey.
         "When all my labors and trials are o'er, and I am safe on that beautiful shore.  Just to be near the dear Lord I adore, will through the ages be glory for me.  O that will be, glory for me, glory for me, glory for me.  When by His grace I shall look on His face.  That will be glory, be glory for me."  Oh, That Will Be Glory by Charles Gabriel.
          "I must tell Jesus!  I must tell Jesus!  I cannot bear my burdens alone.  I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus!  Jesus can help me, Jesus Alone!"  I Must Tell Jesus by Elisha Hoffman.
          "Standing before Him at last, trial and trouble all past, crowns at His feet we will cast, Jesus is coming again!  Coming again, coming again, may be morning, may be noon, may be evening and will be soon.  Coming again, coming again, O what a wonderful day it will be.  Jesus is coming again!"   Jesus Is Coming Again by John Peterson.
          "Sometimes the day seems long, our trials hard to bear.  We're tempted to complain, to murmur and despair.  But Christ will soon appear to catch His bride away!  All tears forever over in God's eternal day!  It will be worth it all when we see Jesus.  Life's trials will seem so small when we see Christ;  One glimpse of His dear face all sorrow will erase.  So bravely run the race till we see Christ."   It Will Be Worth It All by Esther Kerr Rustholi.
           And that is just a quick sampling of some which encourage me.  And I haven't even mentioned ones like Great Is Thy Faithfulness, Day By Day, Stayed Upon Jehovah, I Belong to the King, Standing On The Promises, Blessed Assurance, My Hope Is In The Lord, Face To Face, The Sold Rock, He Hideth My Soul, Shelter In The Time of Storm, and How Great Thou Art.  I could go on and on.  I thank the Lord for hymn writers who composed these meaningful words to encourage thousands.  Discouraged?  Try singing these old hymns.  If you need some help, consult my hymn blog each week.   Be encouraged in the Lord!  He is good, all the time!



No comments: