Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Three Shows


         I've learned the secret of getting three different shows for the cost of one.  I've learned this recently by attending high school football games.

         Times have certainly changed.  When I was a teen I played in the band for six years and went to every game, home and away.  We used to go to cheer on our football team.  We played football music to stir them and the crowd on.  We helped the cheerleaders with football cheers such as "We want a touchdown!" or "Hold That Line!".  All eyes were on the game.  But that is the way it used to be.
         The first show that you get at a game today is done by the cheerleaders.  Most of the time they have their backs to the game and have no idea what is even happening with the game. They don't even watch their own band perform. Often they are busy stretching and fixing their hair.  They are there to perform and perform means doing cartwheels, dances, build pyramids, and do fancy cheers which few in the crowd know.  They love to shake and dance and do fancy jumps.  It is obvious that they think they are the stars of the night and that people have come to be entertained by them.  And they are often well trained and very good.  But their participation and attention has little to do with the game being played. They practice long and hard. But, they do little or nothing to help the football team.
         My observation?  When schools are having so much trouble meeting budgets, the first line item that I would delete is that of cheerleaders.  There are enough sports for women available today that cheerleaders have no real contribution to make to athletic competitions.  At Penn Manor they now have an independent, very active student cheering section which has taken over what the cheerleaders used to do.  And that doesn't cost the district a cent.
         Then there is show number two.  Here is where I may get myself in trouble. This has become the "sacred cow" of devoted band parents. It is the band show.  Most high school marching bands now exist mainly to participate in competitions.  It appears that football games just give them another opportunity to practice.  Here is a typical night for a high school band today.  They show up early to tune up and to cheer on the other team's band as they do part of their competition program before the game begins. That is good sportsmanship. During the first quarter of the game they might play a number or two.  During the second quarter they leave the stands and spend the entire quarter warming up somewhere behind the endzone for their show.  At half they do their performance.  Then the third quarter is free time to get something to eat and talk to their friends.  Then they usually reassemble in the final quarter to watch the game and maybe play another number or two.
          There are very few what I call "football bands" today.  Marching bands exist for the weekend band competitions. Bands have become very small because of the number of hours required to perfect their show and enter their weekend competitions.  Kids today just don't have the time or aren't willing to devote all their "spare" time to the practice and competitions.  My grandson's band put in over 150 hours of practice - before school even began.  Most bands in Lancaster County now have 40 or fewer instrumentalists.  Few play many or any football march songs.  And so Friday football games become their practice session for Saturday's competition.  And they are cheered on by devoted band parents who follow them and support them everywhere.  If the band wasn't at the game, they wouldn't be there either.
         Oh yes, what is show number three?  Surprise, it's a football game.  While the other two shows are going on, a game is still being played on the field for those who might be interested.  In reality, it is no longer the main event of the night.
          But this is just one of the many changes that have happened over the years.  Give me a good football team which is supported by a 100+ group of musicians who play stirring numbers and by energetic cheerleaders who understand and watch the game and get the crowd involved in supporting their team.  But that is the way it used to be and I guess time changes most things.
         But then why should I complain?  Where else today can you watch three shows for the price of one?

No comments: