Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Birthday X



        It was just a "few" years, let's say X years ago, that I experienced a very special event.  In the old Sunbury Community Hospital I first saw the light of day and with my parents I celebrated my actual birthday.  I don't know where X years have actually gone, but today I celebrate the Xth anniversary of that event.
And while there is nothing really special about X, it is the product of two prime numbers, even though I am no longer considered to be in my prime.  It also has four factors whose sum is 114.  And while it, as well as me, are not prime, the sum of its digits happens to be prime as does the difference in its digits.  So maybe there is still some hope for this old man.
      Now if you haven't figured it out yet, here is the value of X.  In binary code it is 1,001,010!   So I'm actually over a million, in base two that is.  That is better than base three where I am just 2,202 years old.   And some days I do feel like I am over a thousand - but maybe not a million - years old.
Now if that isn't frightening enough, hurricanes and typhoons need to have winds in excess of X miles per hour to be officially classified as a hurricane or a typhoon.  I've never been able to walk even close to that speed, even with my handy companion cane.  But driving a car is a little different.
Just like me, X is not very significant in this world.  It is the atomic number of tungsten!  It is the number of a freeway from Iowa to Ohio.  In Chicago it is the number of the bus which runs from Lincoln Park to Belmont Crazen, where ever that might be.  It is the number that was worn by Edwar Cabrera with the Colorado Rockies baseball team.  And X is the number worn by Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews when he played football on the Oilers.  And I also read that X is used in the Bible two times, but I haven't had time to try to find where that might be.  Probably Psalm 119 is one of those two.   Now I'm sure all of these facts impress you - not!
But this insignificant birthday is just another day in my life - actually day 27,028.  We never do anything special for our birthdays.  They just come and go, and, Lord willing, today will do the same.
But I do thank the Lord for being with me all of these years.  On June 12 I will celebrate my 70th spiritual birthday and that is special.  At times I am amazed that God has given me all these years to serve Him here on earth.  I think of so many of my friends who weren't given that many years here on earth and I can't help but wonder why.  But God has been so good to me and my response for these years is to continue to serve Him, however I can, in the days that I still have here.  
          So, on to day 27,029 and year X+1!

No comments: