Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

It's Off To Work We Go




        During a lifetime we can spend thousands of hours at work.  For most folks work is a necessity, for some it is just something to do to just keep busy.   Most of our jobs involve working for a boss or a manager and that can be a real struggle, especially if the boss is unreasonable and hard to get along with.
          I have had numerous jobs and bosses over the years.  I have worked on the editorial staffs of the Lititz Record Express, the Sunbury Daily Item, the Lancaster Sunday News, Books In Print and have worked in public relations.  I have delivered medical goods, cut lawns, kept score for numerous athletic events, worked as a salesman in a food stand, set up tents and dug graves.  I have taught school in grades 6 through college as well as GED classes and SAT prep classes.  I have written test questions for a variety of standardized tests and have served as a consultant for a textbook company. I have prepared software packages to train foreign teachers.  I have coached, officiated, and advised. I was also a very unsuccessful World Book salesman.
          With the exception of digging graves and trying to sell World Books, I can say that I actually enjoyed all of my jobs.  I am one of the very few who spent 39 years in the same school district and can say that I really enjoyed almost all of that time.
          Now most workers can't wait for retirement.  Many really don't like their jobs and can't wait until they can do something different.  Some days they may even feel like they are a prisoner. If you are in that situation, you might want to think about the following comparisons ... work vs. prison.

IN PRISON ... you spend the majority of your time in an 8X10 cell. 
AT WORK ... you spend the majority of your time in a 6X8 cubicle.

IN PRISON ... you get three meals a day. 
AT WORK ... you only get a break for one meal and you pay for it.

IN PRISON ... you get time off for good behavior. 
AT WORK ... you get more work for good behavior.

IN PRISON ... the guard locks and unlocks all the doors for you. 
AT WORK ... you must carry around a security card and open all the doors for yourself.

IN PRISON ... you can watch TV and play games. 
AT WORK ... you get fired for watching TV and playing games.

IN PRISON ... they allow your family and friends to visit. 
AT WORK ... you can't even speak to your family.

IN PRISON ... all expenses are paid by the taxpayers with no work required. 
AT WORK ... you get to pay all the expenses to go to work and then they deduct taxes from your salary to pay for prisoners.

IN PRISON ... you must deal with sadistic wardens. 
AT WORK ... they are called managers.

So which is your choice?
  

No comments: