Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Encouragement


          Recently Pastor Ron Mahurin was the guest speaker in our morning worship services at church.  We have always appreciated his wisdom, his presentations and his practical applications of the scripture.
          On this particular Sunday Pastor Mahurin spoke on the life of Barnabas with the theme of encouragement.  He showed several examples of how Barnabas had been a great encourager to so many others and he shared ways that we could and should encourage others.
          We all need encouragement from time to time.  Life can be very hard and we can easily get discouraged by the challenges of everyday living as well as in serving the Lord.  At times like that, a sincere word or deed from someone can help get us back on track.  Hopefully you have experienced that, and, if so, thank the Lord for allowing that encourager to cross your path.
          But we also should be encouragers, too.  Each day we see folks at work, or school, or at home, or in church, who could be helped by the words that we say or the deeds that we do.  And we shouldn't miss these God given opportunities. Give a complement, write a note, give an unexpected gift, share a job with them.  But be sincere.  While there are those who will never encourage you, there are also some who always over do it and you soon wonder if they are sincere about what they say or do.  I have met a few people like that.
          My grandfather was a great encourager. He was especially good at making phone calls or visiting folks and giving them words of encouragement. He always had good things to say about folks, even those who treated him badly.  I remember several times in his messages that he would use the example of the old lamplighters whose job it was each evening to light the candles that illuminated the streets, so that folks could see through the night.  His presence and work made the night a little brighter for those who passed by.  
          And that is my desire.  May the lives of those who cross my paths be made a little brighter because they have sensed the love of Jesus in my life.  May I be an encouragement to them.
          Now if you are old enough, you might remember the popular song about the lamplighter.  And in case you've never heard it, let me close by sharing the words with you.

He made the night a little brighter
Wherever he would go
The old lamplighter
Of long, long ago
His snowy hair was so much whiter
Beneath the candle glow
The old lamplighter
Of long, long ago

You'd hear the patter of his feet
As he came toddling down the street
His smile would cheer a lonely heart you see
If there were sweethearts in the park
He'd pass a lamp and leave it dark
Remembering the days that used to be
For he recalled when things were new
He loved someone who loved him too
Who walks with him alone in memories
He made the night a little brighter
Wherever he would go
The old lamplighter
Of long, long ago
His snowy hair was so much whiter
Beneath the candle glow
The old lamplighter
Of long, long ago

Now if you look up in the sky
You'll understand the reason why
The little stars at night are all aglow
He turns them on when night is near
He turns them off when dawn is here
The little man we left so long ago
He made the night a little brighter
Wherever he would go
The old lamplighter of long, long ago

You can listen to it being sung right here.   LISTEN

No comments: