Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, October 16, 2015

At the Right Time



        All scripture is given by inspiration of God.  It is God breathed.  It is direct from God through chosen men who wrote it down for us.   And the Holy Spirit often brings parts of it back to our minds just at the time we need it.  I am thankful that growing up I memorized so many verses that help me today, even if they were in the old King James version.  Memorization is much more difficult today than it was a half century ago.
           Now I don't like to use the word inspiration when talking about hymn writers since there is a major difference. Hymns are not God breathed and without errors.  However, over the years, the Lord has allowed men and women, often as a result of their life experiences, to pen words which encourage us when we hear them.  And I believe that the Holy Spirit, just as He does with scripture, can also bring those words to our minds in times of particular needs.
          Now, as you may know, I also write a weekly hymn blog. (HYMNS).  Over the years I have featured about 350 different songs and hymns.  My problem is, because I try not to repeat them, some of those which have meant the most to me have been written about months or years ago.  And I don't know how to share new, fresh experiences concerning them without doing repeats.  So I am thinking that maybe I can do that here once in awhile for my couple dozen of faithful readers of this blog.
          One of my favorites for many years has been "Day By Day".   And I recall two special times that the Lord has brought these words to my  mind at a time when I really needed some encouragement.  
          The first happened about 20 years ago.  In those days I  used to get up early in the morning to walk before going to school. I would take my portable radio and listen to the music on the local Christian radio station as I walked. One of my paths took me past the local water tower which was about to be made higher.  The night before I had received some very discouraging news that was about to eliminate or change something that I really valued in my life.  To me the news was overwhelming.  I prayed as I walked that day and then I was surprised to see that the construction of the water tower had begun and it was being built differently than I had expected.  Not only was I taken back by that, but I suddenly realized that God often does major things in our lives in ways that we had never expected.  And He was doing that with my situation.  At that very moment, on the radio came the words of the hymn "Day By Day" ... "help me then in every tribulation, so to trust Thy promises, O Lord ... trusting in my Father's wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear ... Every day the Lord Himself is near me with a special mercy for each hour."  Wow, what a timely and needed reminder.
          Then, much more recently, I was scheduled to undergo a procedure which could not only be painful but could alter my hopes and plans for the future.  I had difficulty sleeping that night and decided to get up very early and go to our church to walk before the procedure. When I walk I use my ipod on which I've stored about 160 of my favorite Gospel songs and hymns.  And guess which one was the first one that played when I turned it on that morning?  You got it, "Day By Day".  And that was just the encouragement I needed for that day. And now as I face serious surgery in a few days, this hymn remains an encouragement to me.
          I don't know if you know this hymn, but maybe you too might need to be encouraged by its words today.  Here they are for you.


(1)      Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

(2)     Every day the Lord Himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counselor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.


(3)     Help me then, in every tribulation,
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation,
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till with Christ the Lord I stand.

I've also shared this today because of more challenges that I will be facing in the next week.  The words of this song will be in my mind as I go through the coming weeks.  The Lord is my hope and I put my trust in Him.

You can listen to it here.   LISTEN

No comments: