Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Never Too Old To Learn


         I guess you are never too old to learn new lessons or to be reminded of things which you should know.  At least I am finding that to be so.  With my present physical limitations I have had plenty of time to reflect and consider things around me and here are some observations and reactions that I have had.
         First, don't be too self sufficient to accept help from others.  I originally said that we didn't need folks to bring us meals for there are those who needed them much more than us.  But one person responded by telling us that we had helped others over the years now we should graciously accept the help of others.  And we did.  And it was so helpful and nice.  Some of the meals were arranged by members of our church staff while others came unexpectedly from friends and family who just wanted to help us.  I guess I needed to be reminded that it is more blessed to give than to receive and sometimes you need to be the receiver.  And we are so thankful for those who took the time to show their love and concern in meeting our needs for meals.
          The giving also came from our family members who responded to many practical needs - filling our water softener, gathering our leaves, carrying heavy objects, preparing our AC for winter, staking our driveway and walks for snow removal, completing numerous lawn and household jobs, providing food, bringing in our Christmas items and even setting up and decorating our Christmas trees.  And this was done during a time when all three boys were overloaded with their jobs and other obligations.  God certainly has blessed us with wonderful sons, spouses and grandchildren.
          I have also been reminded of the different communications involved in friendships.  I admit that there were a few friends who seemed to stay away during our times of challenge. Maybe they didn't know what to do or say.  But there were others who really surprised us and stepped up in unexpected ways.  They really encouraged us and I needed that.
          I also really appreciated those who I knew were praying, especially some relatives who did not live close enough to actually visit but prayed regularly for us.  I was encouraged by prayers during two pastoral visits while I was in the hospital and two more at home, as well as by the wife of a staff member who prayed for us when she visited and brought a meal.  Now I didn't need to be reminded of the value of prayer but the prayers of others for us in a specific time of need were extra special.  I've also learned during this time to be more of a prayer warrior for others myself and that was a reminder I guess that I needed.
          I learned how nice it is to get visits weeks after surgery, especially if you know about them in advance and the visitors don't stay too long.  It is a real encouragement especially when you are confined and time passes slowly.  And that is something that I admit that I personally haven't cared to do when I was able.  I am much better at sending cards, notes and e-mails of encouragement.  And I have appreciated receiving those myself, especially when personal comments were included.
         I've also been reminded to accept that things don't always go as expected. But I guess I really knew that.  When observing the length of recovery of others who had back surgeries, I was expecting my recovery to take a month or two. That was true for my previous back surgery. But it is very obvious now that mine will be much longer - maybe a year.  I must now wear an electric stimulator to promote bone growth for two hours each day - up to nine months.  However, I am continually reminded that God is in control and that he has allowed this for a specific purpose - maybe so that I would learn some of these lessons.
          And the final lesson that I have been reminded of is one that I have often experienced in the past.  God allows things in His will to come into our lives in preparation for things in the future.  Here are some examples. (1) We did not schedule any ministry responsibilities for November or December of this year that we would now have had to cancel.  And that is unusual, but God knew our schedule even when we didn't.  For 25 years we scheduled about 100 family ministry meetings each year, sometimes even a year in advance.  And never did we have to cancel because of an illness, a death, or other unexpected events.  God knew what would come into our lives and when it would happen, long before we did.  
          (2)   Although I am sure that God would not control the weather just for me, I am amazed at the weather so far this month. One of my concerns is snow removal at our house this winter since for the first time neither of us will be able to do it and I don't want my boys to drive here through bad weather to do it for us.  But so far God has taken care of that for us with record high temps and no snow.  Now I don't know how long that will last, but it has been a real blessing for us. And when it comes, somehow He has plans to take care of it for us.
          (3)   Last December we decided to shop for a new car.  I had my plans to buy a Camry but the salesman suggested that I also drive a Rav4, even though that wasn't the style of car that I wanted.  But as soon as I drove it, I was sold on it.  And guess what? It has been a real blessing with this surgery.  I have no trouble getting in or out of it.  I would have had real difficulty with a sedan.  And it has been extremely comfortable to ride in.  God knew what we needed - almost a year in advance - long before we did.  What a great God we serve.

         I am often reminded of a verse which we taught to others so often in our family ministry.  Psalm 139:3 - Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with ALL my ways. "   

No comments: