Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Terrorism


            My recuperation from my back surgery limits what I can do and sometimes it becomes rather boring.  Now for up to nine months I must also wear a special electrical stimulator to help the growth of new bones in my back.  I must use this for two hours every day.  This limits me even more, so I often find myself in the afternoon sitting watching boring television for those two hours.
           I was doing this on Wednesday when suddenly all the major stations interrupted regular programming to cover the mass shooting in California.  And for hours they repeated pictures and interviews without many actual facts.  If one took the time to sit there and watch it all, it could become very discouraging, maybe scary and even depressing.  And the viewing public did not need all this coverage.  A few definite facts would have been much better, but of course they didn't have any such facts for hours so must of the negative coverage was based on speculation.
          Part of the debate was whether this shooting could be labeled as terrorism.   Now the formal definition of terrorism is "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."  So I guess the question is, were there actually political aims involved?  But who really cares.  Killing is killing and that to me is terrorism no matter what the aim might be.  Innocent people are killed and that is tragic.
          Now I believe that mass killings and terrorism are here to stay and we shouldn't be surprised.  The scripture tells in Jeremiah 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"  And the scripture predicts times when violence will increase.  I don't like to be negative, but this world is not going to get any better.  Outside of a major revival, brought on by our fervent prayers, little can be done to reverse this tragic way of life.
          And President Obama, I totally disagree with you.  Tougher gun laws would not have prevented this or other mass shooters.  Whether these folks are terrorists or just mentally unstable, if they wanted to kill people they would have found ways to get guns, even if it was done illegally.  And you can't legislate morally - only Christ can change man's direction, attitudes and perspective.
          But there are some things that I wish the media would do.  First, cut off the major television coverage of these situations.  Why do we need to see hours of tragedy?  Among other things,this can show "copy cats" what they can do and maybe how to get away with it.  And, since the shooters on Tuesday apparently escaped, it might help them know what is being done.  The general public just does not need to see this.
         Second, why publish pictures and names of the shooters?  We almost make them heroes and give them tremendous publicity.  I wonder how many might not carry out their terror attacks if they realized that they would get no publicity.  
         Third, this is controversial, but let's reinstate the death penalty for those who do the shootings - if they survive their attack alive.
          Fourth, eliminate all the violence on television, in movies and in games.  Of course, this will never happen.  The public would call this censorship and demand it be returned.  But what a breeding place for violence.
          Now what can we as believers do?  Obviously, pray for our country.  Pray for safety for yourself and your family whenever you or they go some place. Don't take your safety for granted.  No place is exempt from terror.  We now even have security teams at our church to attempt to protect those of us who come to worship.  Don't refrain from living a normal life - just be aware of things around you.  And, finally, live each day as though it might be your last.  Love your family.  Live for Christ.  Trust Him.  And live with the certainty that should something happen to you, that the Lord knows and cares and has prepared a special eternal home for you.


No comments: