Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Some Challenges For You

         I've recently begun to sort through my old files of things I've collected and materials that I used when I was teaching.  It is amazing how much one can accumulate over the years.  Some of the things I've found have been interesting and are filled with memories. Others I can't figure out why they were ever saved.
         One of the sets of things I found were challenges that I used to present to my students just for the fun and to encourage creative thinking.  As we start a new year it might be a good idea for each of us to take on some mental challenges to stretch or at least maintain our brain power and creativity.  So with that challenge in mind, I am including - hopefully for your interest - a couple of the problems I recovered.  Give them a try and either reply with a comment or else wait a few days and I will share the answers.  Ready? ... set ... go!

I.  How many words are mispelled?
Ukulele  .....   Desiccate .....  Ecstasy .....  Inoculate .....  Obbligato .....  Fuchsia .....  Supersede .....  Graffito .....  Sacrilegious  .....  Immaculate

II.  (From Lewis Carroll, 1829)
A Russian had three sons.  The first, named Rab, became a lawyer.  The second, named Ymra, became a soldier.  The third became a sailor.  What was his name?

III.   Complete these sequences:

1.     T, N, E, S, S, ...

2.     S, F, T, W, T, ...

3.     D, N, O, S, A, ...

4.     O, T, T, F, F, ...

5.     ..., 61,  52,  63, 94, 46, ...

IV.   Some easier quickies:

1.     Rearrange the letters of NEW DOOR to make one word.

2.     Divide 30 by 1/2.  Add 10.  What is the answer?

3.     Take two apples from three apples and what do you have.

Have fun!

No comments: