Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Anxiety


         Anxiety - a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome,  a nervous disorder characterized by a state of excessive uneasiness and apprehension.
          Anxiety is something that we all experience at one time or another.  Sometimes it is actually a good thing, often it is not.  But some of us experience it more often than others and it can wear on us and even affect things like our attitude and our health.  Sometimes it is hard for some of us to control.
         I will admit, as many of you already know, it is something that I battle with regularly in my life, even though I know it is wrong.  And it has been an extra tough battle for me the last several months as I've gone through surgeries and faced some very serious health problems.  It is my problem and I won't blame my mother, but maybe we shared the same worry gene, if that even exists.
          Besides talking to my doctors about it, the best help that I receive is talking to the Lord and spending time in his Word.  In case you experience the same problem, here are some scripture reminders that can be a great help in times of anxiety.
        *  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."   Philippians 4:6-7.
          * "O my people, trust in him at all times.  Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge."   Psalm 62:8.
         *  "Look at the birds.  They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them.  And aren't you far more valuable to him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?"  Matthew 6:26-27.
         * "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."  1 Peter 5:7.
         * "Then Jesus said, 'Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.   Take my yoke upon you.  Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.'"  Matthew 11:28-30.
         Many years ago our Pastor, Rudy Gehman, died suddenly.  At his funeral the Pastor's Quartet sang a song that I had never heard before and have seldom heard since.  But it has become one of my personal favorites.
(1)   Is there a heart o'erbound by sorrow?
Is there a life weighed down by care?
Come to the cross, each burden bearing—
All your anxiety, leave it there.
Refrain:
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

(2)   No other friend so keen to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear;
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.    Refrain

(3)    Come then at once, delay no longer!
Heed His entreaty kind and sweet;
You need not fear a disappointment,
You shall find peace at the mercy seat.   Refrain

If you don't know it, you can listen to it here.   LISTEN
        I'm not sure why I wrote this particular blog, but if you, too, have a problem with anxiety, maybe these verses and this hymn will be a help and encouragement to you as well.

No comments: