Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Cards of Encouragement



        Sending greeting cards by snail mail is a lost art.  It can be expensive.  But it is a ministry that my wife has maintained over the years.  She sends dozens of birthday, get well, sympathy and encouragement cards on a regular basis throughout the year.  And people are so appreciative of this personal attention and they often go out of their way to thank us.          
          Now I've never really looked for cards for myself, but after my recent surgery and ten day stay in the hospital, I have really enjoyed receiving them, especially those which have included personal messages.  Actually I received over 50 of them and some of the messages were really encouraging.  Here are some of the card messages that stood out to me.          
         "A quiet heart, a little rest, a lot of getting well.  It's just what the Father ordered!  Praying you'll soon be well.         
          "Relax, Nap, Recharge, Sleep, Let God renew you today."  I have been doing that.  "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak"  Isaiah 40:29 (NIV).          "There's no safer place than the palm of God's hand; with peace as our shelter, we rest in His plan.  Though trials may try us we've learned what is true - with wisdom and grace He will carry us through."         
          "Is there a prayer my heart can say for someone who's in need today?  I'll ask for grace before His throne, for this is how God keeps His own."  "Let us come boldly to the very throne of God and stay there to receive His mercy and to find grace in our times of need."  Hebrews 4:16.          
          "May the hands that formed the earth touch your body and heal it.  May the breath that moved over the waters fill your soul with life.  May the heart that sacrificed to save you surround your heart with comfort.  May knowing that you are in the hands of an all-powerful, all-loving God bring you peace."  "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."  Isaiah 40:29  (NIV)
          "The One who created you, knit you together, who knows you and all of your ways '... will surely be near with His healing and love as you go through these difficult days.  May God heal your body and lift your spirit as only He can."          
          Now while most of my cards had serious messages like these, there were a few which made me smile - and I needed that.  Here is one.  "I told your doctor you'd recover faster in Maui.  I'm pretty sure he's considering it.  Get well soon."  Now that would be a great idea.
          Then I really appreciated five cards that I received from our five Awana clubs.  Most had messages of clubbers praying for me and missing me. But there were two that made me chuckle.  One Chum wrote "Don't give up, I'll pray for you!  God is with you."   At times it is easy to think about giving up, but I'm not.  The other cute one came from one of the Guards.  "My friend had a hole in his heart, He got better and I know you will get better too!"   Now that is encouraging.  I guess a hole in your heart is much worse than what I have experienced.          
          Now I appreciated all the cards but the one that I loved the most was the first one which I received from my granddaughter, Lexie.  She loves to make cards and she delivered one to me in the hospital.    On the outside it says "Get Well Soon".  On the inside it says "Dear Pop Pop, I'm praying for you.  Get well soon.  Love, Lexie"  And that card I will keep and treasure.          
           Now I don't know about others, but I have learned to appreciate the prepared messages and especially the personal comments.  For two weeks I looked forward to getting mail each day and opening my cards.  But then, alas,  they've stopped coming.  I just hope the prayers didn't stop as well.

                    

          

No comments: