Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Oceans And Waves


         On my birthday we spent a few days relaxing at Ocean City, Maryland.  We love going to the shore off season, not to swim or shop, but just to watch the waves and relax.  There is something very refreshing about watching and listening to the powerful waves roll up on the beach. I could spend hours during this.
         This time while I was watching my mind began to recall many hymns and choruses written over the centuries in which the author used the ocean, sea and waves to illustrate spiritual truths.  For example, "Wide, wide as the ocean, high as the heavens above, deep, deep as the deepest sea, is my Savior's love." 
         Then there is the beautiful hymn that begins "O love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee. I give thee back the life I owe, that in thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be."  
         Or how about "Since Jesus came into my heart, since Jesus came into my heart, floods of joy o'er my soul like the sea billows roll, since Jesus came into my heart."
          Now while some hymn writers used illustrations of seas and waves to express the depths of God's love, more often they used them to illustrate the various storms of life that we all face.  "Be still, my soul, thy God doth undertake to guide the future, as He has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake, all now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still my soul, the waves and winds still know, His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below."
         Or how about "My soul in sad exile was out on life's sea, so burdened with sin and distressed. Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, "Make Me your choice",  and I entered the "Haven of Rest"!   I've anchored my soul in the "Haven of Rest,"  I'll sail the wide seas no more. The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep, In Jesus I'm safe evermore. "
          Then there is "Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,  threaten the soul with infinite loss. Grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,  points to the refuge, the mighty cross. Grace, grace, God's grace, grace that will pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace, God's grace,  grace that is greater than all our sin!"
         "Jesus, Savior, pilot me over life's tempestuous sea. Unknown waves before me roll,  hiding rock and treacherous shoal. Chart and compass came from Thee. Jesus, Savior, pilot me."  And don't forget, "Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,  when the clouds unfold their wings of strife?  When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,  will your anchor drift or firm remain?  We have an anchor that keeps the soul, steadfast and sure while the billows roll. Fastened to the Rock which cannot move, grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love."
         Now while we could list so many more, I close with one of my favorites which is based on a true story.  "Master, the tempest is raging!  The billows are tossing high! The sky is o'ershadowed with blackness, no shelter or help is nigh. "Carest Thou not that we perish?" How canst Thou lie asleep, when each moment so madly is threat'ning a grave in the angry deep? The winds and the waves shall obey Thy will. Peace, be still! Peace, be still! Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea, or demons, or men, or whatever it be, no water can swallow the ship where lies the Master of ocean and earth and skies. They all shall sweetly obey Thy will! Peace! Peace! be still!"  And I must include the last verse.  "Master, the terror is over, the elements sweetly rest. Earth's sun in the calm lake is mirrored, and heaven's within my breast. Linger, O blessed Redeemer! Leave me alone no more. And with joy I shall make the blest harbor, and rest on the blissful shore." 
          And those of us who have placed our lives in the hands of our Lord have experienced His protection and His peace in the times of our storms when the waves almost overwhelmed us.

No comments: