Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Prayer Today


          Since writing my previous blog on prayer warriors, the subject of prayer has continued to be in my mind.  Could it be that failure to pray might be one of the major reasons that the evangelical church appears to have become so ineffective in recent decades?  Despite the fact that we know God is in control and the final victory is His, it has become apparent that we are losing the battle against today's sinful culture.
          Many things have changed in churches over the decades.  Some of it may be good, but some of it may not be.  In most churches prayer is no longer a prominent part of worship services and church programming. 
          Brief prayers during a worship time might now be the only prayer in a morning service.  Generally there are no public prayers for particular needs of people, government leaders, missionaries or our country.  Where prayer services were an important part of church programs in the past, few have them today and if they do, they are probably the poorest attended of any services.  We have become too busy – and maybe too content – to spend time in corporate prayer.
          Now many churches do have prayer chains.  In our church we head up our church e-mail prayer chain which includes about 100 persons.  And these chains are good and important.  But are all the people on these chains really praying?  I know many are, but I admit that from things I observe I am fearful that many just want to know what is going on.
          I am not the only person who is concerned about this apparent trend.  I recently read an article in the Decision magazine, "Bringing Prayer Back", by Ronnie Floyd.  In the article he states "Christians want prayer back in schools; however, we ought to first bring it back into the worship services of our churches.  Most churches spend more time in worship services promoting the ministries of the church than praying.  Jesus wants His church to be a house of prayer for all the nations!"  Unfortunately, he is correct.
          Floyd goes on to say, "Prayer is dependent.  When we pray we are depending upon God.  When we do not pray, we are depending upon ourselves. …  Prayer is faith.  When you pray you are declaring absolute dependence on the Lord!  Therefore pray whenever you need to exercise any level of faith, because prayer is faith.  When you pray rightly, you are trusting in the Lord completely … Prayer is action.  When you start your day with God, you are taking action upon your day.  When you pray anywhere about anything, you are taking action."
         He concludes by suggesting that each day we do the following.  "Make prayer your first choice.  Realize that when you pray you are demonstrating great faith in God.  Live in a way that proves prayer is important to you.  Make prayer a priority in your church.  In your life and in your church, pray like it matters."
           Are we prayer warriors?   Is your church known as a house or prayer?  Floyd concludes by stating "It is past time for us to prioritize prayer both personally and in the church.  For far too long we have seen what we can do; it is time for us to see what God can do.  This can only happen when we pray. " 
          Acts 4:31 says, "When they had prayed, the place where they were assembled was shaken and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak God's message with boldness."       

No comments: