Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Election Thoughts


          If you are like me, you can hardly wait for the election to be over and for all the negative election ads to disappear.  These campaigns have been disgusting.  And yet this election is one of the most important in the history of this country and evangelicals must get involved and participate if we are to maintain any of the moral values and freedoms which have made this country great.
          And while most folks are focusing on the presidential race with its flawed candidates, probably the most important races are those for the house and senate.  The liberal democrats are pouring millions of dollars into races where they could take over the control of both houses, especially the senate.  And despite who the new president will be, the real legal control for laws and spending is placed on the congress.  A president will not get his/her agenda through without the support of the Senate.
          The major question facing the nation in the next few years is who will control the Supreme Court.  With one vacancy already needing to be filled and with the possibility of several more vacancies in the next few years, the control of the Court will affect us for decades.  Liberal appointees continue to threaten our religious liberties while conservative appointees could help maintain the freedoms which we have enjoyed and need.  While the new president will nominate, the senate will need to approve or reject the nomination.  And that is why control of the senate really becomes the prize of this election.
          For those living in Pennsylvania, our senate race is one of the key battles for control of the senate.  And the liberals have mounted a major campaign with money and ads to defeat the incumbent, Pat Toomey.  They have chosen Katie McGinty as their champion and they are trashing Toomey who has been an outstanding conservative senator who has worked with both sides of the aisle.
          McGinty strongly supports Hillary and all of Obama's policies.  Her ads attack Toomey for a variety of reasons but especially because of his opposition to abortion and Planned Parenthood.  She has been caught up in numerous lies and has failed to get the support of any of the police organizations throughout the state, even though her father was a policeman.  Joe Biden has promoted her because she is a wife, mother, enjoys basketball and is a homework supervisor.  Wow, what qualifications to be a senator. Maybe she should coach a middle school women's basketball team instead. At least she wasn't a community organizer like her idol Obama.
          I've only ever once asked for the personal help of a senator and that came a few years ago when I had a major problem with the incompetence of Medicare officials.  I contacted Senators Toomey (R) and Casey (D) and Representative Pitts (R).  Casey and Pitts ignored my request but Toomey's office contacted me.  They assigned one of their workers to my case and she diligently worked with me for several months to get the issue resolved.  I was impressed and as a result I've become a Toomey supporter.  He really has helped an average person like me.  And that's what I think an elected official should do.
          So I implore those of you from Pennsylvania to get out and vote for Toomey.  The future of our religious liberties may depend on our votes.
         Now the presidential race is another issue.  I can't even think of voting for Hillary although I expect that she will win - probably by a landslide.  She is a solid liberal who is a liar.  She has exploited her position and contacts to build her fortune and influence.  She is devious and opposed to religious liberties for evangelicals. She loves children, but only after they are born.  In my estimation as a president she will be as bad as and probably even worse than Obama.  And her choice for vice president is no better.
         Trump is also a terrible candidate who has run a horrendous campaign.  At times I wonder if he didn't run just to insure that Hillary gets elected.  He is rude, egotistical (as is Hillary), and has questionable experiences.  But there are two reasons I will vote for him.  First, he has made an outstanding choice for VP.  Pence is a born again Christian with positive values and experience.  He is the only one of the four candidates worth supporting.  And Trump has promised to nominate conservative judges and to defend religious liberty. Now will he if he is elected? We can only hope so.  Hillary certainly won't.
         And that is why my vote will go to Toomey and to Trump.  And my prayers for the election and for the future of our country will continually go to the Lord.
          Now I know that many believers have decided not to vote at all.  But not voting is actually a vote for Hillary.   So will evangelicals stay home and hand the election and our future to Hillary and Katie and their liberals?
          Get out and vote!  It is your responsibility as a Christian and as an American!

No comments: