Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Was It My "Fault"?


          Did I really cause the earthquake that we had in our area on Sunday, April 23?  It felt like our house lifted up or that it was hit by a big truck.  I understand that some folks in the area thought that North Korea had bombed us. But, thankfully, not this time.  However earthquakes are not uncommon in our area which does have a few faults.  We have experienced about a half dozen in the years that we have lived here.

          Actually, I didn't even feel this one, but my wife did.  I was on my riding mower, feeling a little guilty for cutting grass on a Sunday.  Because of the rainy weather I really had no choice but to do it on a Sunday, which is something I always try to avoid.  So was this God's way of reprimanding me for working on a Sunday?
          I've only done this once before on a Sunday.  That time we were leaving for vacation and it had to be done.  And a few weeks later a man who attends our church told me that he saw me doing it, on Sunday.  I guess I was providing a poor example to him.
          Now for most people, including Christians, there is nothing at all wrong with what I had done.  To most, Sunday is just another day in the week, one to get caught up in your work.  Times have really changed.
          The scripture reminds us, "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8).  After the Resurrection of Jesus, Sunday was held sacred as the Lord's day in remembrance of His Resurrection on that day (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2). From that time on, His followers observed the first day of the week as their Sabbath. In both cases there were six days of labor and one for rest and devotion.
          In 1682, Pennsylvania put it's first blue law in place, shortly after its founding as a colony by William Penn.  Blue laws, known also as Sunday laws, were laws designed to restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities for religious standards, particularly the observance of a day of worship or rest. The Pennsylvania Blue Law read: "Whoever does or performs any worldly employment or business whatsoever on the Lord's day, commonly called Sunday, works of necessity and charity only exempted, or uses or practices any game, hunting, shooting, sport or diversion whatsoever on the same day not authorized by law" is considered to be a law breaker".
          Now most of you younger readers probably did not know that such laws even existed.  In 1978, The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled blue laws were unconstitutional.  And, as a result grocery stores and malls then opened their doors on Sunday to increase their profits, and Sundays were never the same again.  And then in  2003 Pennsylvania ended its ban on alcohol sales on Sundays.
           Now before these laws were changed, most Christians tried to observe Sunday as a day of rest and not work.  Growing up we spent our Sundays going to church - morning and evening - visiting friends and relatives and taking naps. Later I guess we began to act like hypocrites.  Those who could afford it went out for dinner, allowing others to work to serve them.  On television we watched athletes labor, playing baseball and football in particular. But "real" Christians still avoided work on Sunday, at least where they could be seen by others.
          I must admit that over the years my Sunday activities have changed as well.  We now only go to church in the mornings because we no longer have an evening service.  We generally go to a fast food location for lunch, allowing their workers to work and earn some money.  A few times we have even gone to the mall, but only for very necessary items.  And we seldom visit anybody anymore on a Sunday because everyone is too busy.  But I still enjoy a good nap ... and watching sports on television.
          However, while my Sunday activities have changed a little, I must admit that I still am very hesitant to do more on Sundays and I feel a little guilty when I do give in to another activity.  But that is probably due to my age and background, rather than me being more "spiritual" than others.
          Now did my grass cutting cause the earthquake?  I don't think so.  But, just in case, maybe I should give out an advance warning in case I ever must do it again on a Sunday.

No comments: