Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

When To Keep Your Mouth Shut


          I imagine that if your are human you've probably been guilty of "open mouth insert foot" sometime during your life.  I would be too embarrassed to share situations where I have done that.  But the problem isn't a new one, because many years ago Solomon and other Bible authors had much to say about when we should keep our mouth shut.  In fact in Proverbs 21:23 we read, "Whosoever keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from trouble."  Great advice!

          Recently somebody sent me a list of 20 items from the Bible which tell us when we shouldn't open our mouth.  They are great reminders, and even though you might not need these reminders, as I do, I've decided to share them with you.  So here are 20 times you shouldn't open your mouth.

1. In the heat of anger - Proverbs 14:17
2. When you don't have all the facts - Proverbs 18:13
3. When you haven't verified the story - Deuteronomy 17:6
4. If your words offend a weaker brother - I Corinthians 8:11
5. If your words will be a poor reflection on the Lord or your friends and family - Peter 2:21-23
6. When you are tempted to joke about sin - Proverbs 14:9
7. When you would be ashamed of your words later - Proverbs 8:8
8. When you are tempted to make light of holy things - Ecclesiastes 5:2
9. If your words would convey a wrong impression - Proverbs 17:27
10. If the issue is none of your business - Proverbs 14:10
11. When you are tempted to tell an outright lie - Proverbs 4:24
12. If your words will damage someone's reputation - Proverbs 16:27
13. If your words will destroy a friendship - Proverbs 25:28
14. When you are feeling critical - James 3:9
15. If you can't speak without yelling - Proverbs 25:28
16. When it is time to listen - Proverbs 13:1
17. If you may have to eat your words later - Proverbs 18:21
18. If you have already said it more than one time (then if becomes nagging) - Proverbs 19:13
19. When you are tempted to flatter a wicked person - Proverbs 24:24
20. When you are supposed to be working instead - Proverbs 14:23

          Great reminders for each of us.  Let me close with one of the verses that I quote to myself most often, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."  Psalm 19:14.

No comments: