Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Unfailing Love


          I mentioned in a previous blog that I have been using a publication from David Jeremiah on Psalms and Proverbs.  It includes daily readings from both of these Bible books.  The readings are in the New Living Translation and are very easy to read.  This version has helped me to better understand these chapters which I have often read before.

          I quickly noticed a new theme that I had never caught in previous readings.  The chapters in Psalms use the term "unfailing love" 73 times.  It is used 121 times in the entire Bible.  Now I probably missed that before because other versions use a variety of other terms - loving kindness, steadfast love, multitude of mercy, faithful love, great love, gracious love, great mercy and great faithfulness, just to name a few.  I believe that hese terms help define unfailing love.
         As we are in the Thanksgiving season, I am especially thankful for God's unfailing love which I have experienced throughout my life.  Certainly His love has never failed me and never will.  Here are a few of the references to it from Psalms.
         "But I trust in your unfailing love."  13:5
         "Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways."  17:7
         "Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life"  23:6
         "Remember, O Lord, your compassion and unfailing love, which you have shown from long ages past."  25:6
         "Do not remember the rebellious sins of my youth. Remember me in the light of your unfailing love, for you are merciful, O Lord."  25:7
         "The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness all who keep his covenant and obey his demands."  25:7
         "I will be glad and rejoice in your unfailing love, for you have seen my troubles, and you care about the anguish of my soul."  31:7
         "Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord."   32:10
        "Lord, don't hold back your tender mercies from me. Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me."   40:11
        "But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life"   42:8
        "Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love."   51:1
        "For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds."  57:10
        "But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress."  59:16
       "O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love"   59:17
       "Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!"   63:3
       "O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help."  86:5
       "I will sing of the Lord's unfailing love forever! Young and old will hear of your faithfulness."  89:1
       "Satisfy us each morning with your unfailing love, so we may sing for joy to the end of our lives."   90:14
       "For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation."  100:5
       "For his unfailing love toward those who fear him is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth."  103:11
       "Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness."  115:1
       "Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you."  143:8
       "The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love."   145:8
          And these are just some of the many references in Psalms to God's unfailing love.  It is there for us in times of joy, victory, peace and contentment.  But it is also always there for us in times of fear, loneliness, illness, sadness and despair.  Hopefully you are experiencing it in your life.  This season, and every day throughout the year, take time to give Him thanks for His unfailing love to us.

No comments: