Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Another Birthday


          Today is one of those days I have experienced annually over many decades - my birthday.  We never make a big deal out of birthdays - no cakes (I'm diabetic), no special free restaurant meals (can't handle a buffet anymore), no presents (I don't need anymore gift cards and I don't need anything else) - just another normal day for us.  And today we'll probably "celebrate" by getting some work done at home and completing preparations for our Sunday responsibilities at church.

          When I was still teaching I often would give my students a math challenge to figure out how old I was.  As an example, here is what I'd probably use this year.  My age is the product of three prime numbers.  Sometimes my students would figure it out very quickly.  But often there were some answers such as 3 x 5 x 7.  Now did they really think I was 105 or were their math skills that bad?  Either way, not too great.
          For better students I might try something like it is a sphenic number with three distinct prime factors.  It is an abundant number with an aliquot sum of 90.  Or it is a semiperfect number as a multiple of a perfect number.  It is also the 12th triangular number.
          Did you figure it out yet?  If not, these may give it away.  It is the number of revolutions that some old records move per minute.  It is the total number of gifts in the song The Twelve Days of Christmas.  It is a number in a special rule that tells how many years it takes for an investment to double at a certain interest rate.  It is also the number of laps in the Monaco Grand Prix since 1985 with the exception of 1989.  Certainly you must know it now.  If not, it may just remain a secret.
         As far as what happened on the day I was born, with the exception of my birth, not much.  The invasion of Yugoslavia, also known as the April War or Operation 25, was a German-led attack on the Kingdom of Yugoslavia by the Axis powers during World War II.   In the 8th US Masters Tournament at Augusta National GC - Craig Wood won his first major title, three strokes ahead of runner-up Byron Nelson; Masters' first wire-to-wire champion.  And of course Gheorghe Zamfir, Romanian musician, and Hans W Geissendorfer, Augsburg Germany, director, were born the same day - whoever they were.  
          Now there were some "significant" things that happened on other April 6's. In 1722 Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, ended the tax on men with beards.  Maybe Trump should bring that tax back to fund the wall.  In 1830 Joseph Smith and five others organized the Mormon church in Seneca Co, NY.  But they never found that one wife was enough.  In 1889 George Eastman began selling his Kodak flexible rolled film for the first time.  Do you remember what that was like?  In 1893 Andy Bowen and Jack Burke boxed 7 hrs 19 mins to no decision (111 rounds).  It's good they didn't have advertisements to add hours more to that record.  In 1909 the North Pole was reached by Americans Robert Peary and Matthew Henson.  Fortunately they made it before climate change took over.  In 1930 Hostess Twinkies were invented by bakery executive James Dewar.  Now that was a tasteful event.   In 1973 Yankee Ron Blomberg became the first designated hitter in baseball and he walked.  And the American League was changed forever.  And in 1980 Post It Notes were introduced.  Now they are hanging everywhere.   So many interesting things happened on April 6, but I guess my birth didn't make the list. Oh yes, the scheduler that I met yesterday at the Heart Group has the same birthday although she is many years younger.
          Now that I am a parent and grandparent there are several things that I wish I could still ask my parents about my birthday.  What time was I born?  How many hours was mother in labor?  Was my birth difficult?  How many days were we in the hospital?  What were both of my parents doing that day before labor began?  Why did they choose my name?  But, unfortunately, I'll never know the answers to these questions.
         So did you figure out how old I am?  If not, here's a final hint. I am one year older than I was yesterday.

Some day life's journey will be o'er
And I shall reach that distant shore,
I'll sing while ent'ring Heaven's door
"Jesus led me all the way."
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.

If God should let me there review
The winding paths of earth I knew,
It would be proven clear and true
Jesus led me all the way.
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.

And hitherto my Lord has led,
Today He guides each step I tread,
And soon in Heav'n it will be said
Jesus led me all the way.
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.


.


    

No comments: