Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Things I Miss About Easter


          This week while I was listening to our local Christian radio station, Chuck Swindoll opened his regular program with his choir, orchestra and congregation singing "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today".  The music sent chills up my spine as I rejoiced in not only the spectacular presentation but even more importantly the truth of the words.  What a great song and what a tremendous message.

          But as I thought about it later I began to think of several things that I miss from past Easters.  And one of these is the singing of great Easter hymns, like this one on Easter morning ... Christ Arose ... He Lives ... He Rose Triumphantly.  Now I have generally adjusted to many of the changes in church music, but in my mind guitars and praise songs on Easter instead of these traditional hymns sung triumphantly with organ and brass just doesn't do it for me.  And I miss this about Easter.
          I also miss the great Easter cantatas that we used to share each year.  In our church we were very blest to have excellent vocalists and members who loved to sing.  We had excellent choirs and we put on special performances with music and drama to end the Easter celebration.  That was an Easter tradition for us. But times have changed.  With the use of praise choruses younger generations don't know how to sing four part harmony.  Choirs have been replaced by praise bands.  And cantatas which once ministered to many are now a thing of the past.  And I miss them.
          But there are other non church traditions that I miss.  My Mammy Wise used to make the greatest Easter eggs.  These homemade eggs were large and coconut creme, peanut butter, cherry and butter creme.  They probably weren't good for those of us with diabetes, but they were great.  And I miss them.
         Growing up in Lititz, one of the Easter traditions is the trombone/brass choir which every Easter morning, about 4 am, walks around town playing Easter hymns.  When I was in high school I played with them for many years.  During my college years when I came home for Easter I used to wait to hear them in the morning hours. Here's a link to it (TROMBONE). It was special and still continues.  But I no longer live in Lititz and I miss it.
          But one of the biggest things I miss are the Easter family dinners.  After church we all used to gather for the noon meal at my parents.  Mother was a great cook and we enjoyed her ham and other items.  I miss her coconut cakes which were always one of my favorites. But mother, dad and Terry are now gone and our lives have gone different directions and I really miss those special times.
         After a great time of fellowship at lunch we took naps, played games or watched baseball.  I used to love to go for walks around Lititz.  I always looked forward to exploring my wonderful hometown.  I miss that.
         Before we would leave for the evening cantatas at church, mother would provide a light lunch for those who were still hungry.  The highlight for me was her special macaroni salad.  I looked forward to that. It was the best I ever had.  Since her death many of the family have tried to reproduce it but all have failed.  It is gone forever and I miss it.
          So many good memories.  We don't always fully appreciate what we have until it is gone.  But I am thankful for these great events in my life.
          Now going back to the opening of my blog, I want to give you an Easter gift.  Please take time to listen to this link.  EASTER   I hope it will help you with your celebration of Easter.  He is risen, He is risen indeed.  

(1)    Christ, the Lord, is risen today, Alleluia!
Sons of men and angels say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth, reply, Alleluia!

(2)    Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Dying once He all doth save, Alleluia!
Where thy victory, O grave? Alleluia!

(3)    Love's redeeming work is done, Alleluia!
Fought the fight, the battle won, Alleluia!
Death in vain forbids His rise, Alleluia!
Christ hath opened paradise, Alleluia!

(4)   Soar we now where Christ hath led, Alleluia!
Following our exalted Head, Alleluia!
Made like Him, like Him we rise, Alleluia!
Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!

No comments: