Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 25, 2019

Forced Audience

          I've really tried hard to avoid discussing political topics in this blog.  Politics (Poly meaning many, Tics meaning bloodsucking pests) can be very controversial and I don't want to offend any of the few blog readers that I still have.  Good friends can have differing viewpoints but it is often better to just keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself.  But an experience that I have  recently been having has upset me enough that I must share it.
          Now I am learning to try and keep away from watching the news on television.  But some of our friends watch it continually.  We have some who view Fox regularly and get very involved in the conservative approach shown there.  I have never taken time to watch it.
          But for the past several months I have attended Pulmonary Rehab at the Lancaster General Hospital's Health Campus facility.  The rehab is run by the Pulmonary Associates of Lancaster.  For two hours each week I exercise there.  Because of my back problems it is the only exercise that I get anymore and I enjoy it and need it.
          But while we workout they have televisions playing for those of us who are exercising.  They have two large monitors in front of the exercise equipment so we can't help but see and hear what is on.  Now despite concerns that I have shared with them, the televisions are always turned to MSNBC and we are a "captive" audience.
          Before I started attending I had heard stories about how liberal, leftist and prejudiced this channel is.  But since I never watched it before, I never realized how slanted the programming really is.  It certainly is the voice of the Democratic Party.
          In my many weeks of forced observation I have never seen an unbiased approach.  Everything reported is anti-Trump, anti-Republican and anti-conservative.  Now I could take that if there was an equal and fair representation of the opposite sides.  But I have never seen that on this channel.
          The majority of interviews are with Democratic members of Congress, members of the liberal press, former members of the Obama and Clinton administrations and Democratic candidates running for president.  And the moderator of the program always sets these folks up to present their anti-conservative attacks. If a Republican is speaking somewhere or making news, they will usually break in with comments and coverage of  liberals like Pelosi, Schumer or now Biden.
          The push is on to impeach the president and push the liberal agenda.  The coverage of the Kavenaugh hearings was pathetic and so biased.  The day after the signing of the very restrictive abortion law in Alabama they pulled out loads of pro-abortion folks - all democrats - many running for president.  One after another they criticized the new law and pro-abortion supporters.  They didn't interview a single person who was anti-abortion.  Is this fair reporting?  I think not.
          Oh yes, candidate Warren had to condemn Fox News for being biased.  Really?
          Now with the increase of heavy attacks by the left to destroy Trump and his programs, this very biased attack makes me sick and sad. I don't know if there really is "fake" news, but there certainly is very biased and offensive news.  I always thought media sources were for the good of the country and should be neutral.  But I guess I am naive or living in the past!
          I guess I am also disappointed with LGH for allowing this one-sided news to be viewed by its paying patients.  Another participant and I used to successfully lobby to have game shows played instead of the news.  But we had to do that every session and now that she completed the program I appear to be the only one upset with this channel.  Verbal and written suggestions have not had any effect
          I should clarify, Fox may do the same thing from a conservative approach.  I don't know since I don't watch that network.
          Sadly I think the television networks are making the divide in our country even greater as they use their power to sway the country.
          The problem that we are now facing in our elections is not just possible Russian interference, but media interference.
          
(1)    God of our fathers, whose almighty hand
Leads forth in beauty all the starry band
Of shining worlds in splendor through the skies
Our grateful songs before Thy throne arise.

(2)    Thy love divine hath led us in the past,
In this free land by Thee our lot is cast,
Be Thou our Ruler, Guardian, Guide and Stay,
Thy Word our law, Thy paths our chosen way.

(3)    From war's alarms, from deadly pestilence,
Be Thy strong arm our ever sure defense;
Thy true religion in our hearts increase,
Thy bounteous goodness nourish us in peace.

(4)     Refresh Thy people on their toilsome way,
Lead us from night to never ending day;
Fill all our lives with love and grace divine,
And glory, laud, and praise be ever Thine

No comments: