Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Mother's Day


          Tomorrow is Mother's Day and for the past 25 years I  have always thought about my mother on this day.  I still miss her and wish that I could send her flowers, take her out for a meal, spend time talking to her or just be with her.  But those days and opportunities are now gone forever.  If your mother is still alive please don't forget to do something special for her to show her your love and appreciation.  I never thought my chances to do that would end so quickly.  But they unexpectedly did.  It happens!
          During my years of teaching I collected numerous stories to share with my students - some with a lesson to teach and others that were just funny.  One of my favorites concerns Mothers Day so I thought that I would share that with you this year.

         Three sons, Milton, Gerald and Donald, left home and began different occupations.  All three prospered.  One Mother's Day they met and discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly mother.
         The first said, "I built a big house for our mother."  The second said, "I sent her a Mercedes with a driver."  
         The third smiled and said, "I've got you both beat.  You remember how mom enjoyed reading the Bible and you know that she can't see well anymore.  So I sent her remarkable parrot that recites the entire Bible.  It took the elders in church 12 years to teach him.  He's one of a kind.  Mama just has to name the chapter and verse and the parrot recites it."
          Soon thereafter, mom sent out her letters of thanks.
          "Milton," she wrote one son, "The house you built is so huge.  I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house."
         "Gerald," she wrote to the second son, "I am too old to travel, I stay most of the time at home so I rarely use the Mercedes.  And the driver is so rude!"
         "Dearest Donald," she wrote to the third son, "You have the good sense to know what your mother likes.  The chicken was delicious!"

          I am reminded of a chorus which we used to use as a prayer chorus whenever we did programs for children.  We do have so much to be thankful for - including our mothers.

For mother's love and father's care,
For food to eat and clothes to wear,
For home and friends and answered prayer,
I thank Thee, Lord.

But most of all my thanks shall be,
That on the cross of Calvary,
The Savior gave His life for me,
I thank you Lord.

No comments: