Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Our Health Care

          Medical care and costs are a major concern today.  The cost of drugs continues to skyrocket.  Medical costs are out of reach for many, especially those without insurance. And insurance costs so much that many are forced to go without it.  And then even the availability of service and medicine can also be a problem.  And, sadly, nobody has a solution.
          I suffer from very low magnesium.  Recently I ended up in the ER because my mag level was so low.  I wanted an infusion of mag because that always gives me some relief.  But all they would give me was a pill, the very same thing I was taking regularly at home.  And despite my complaint they discharged me, with a pill.
          A few weeks later I shared this story with my heart doctor who is one of the doctors monitoring my problem.  His answer?  There is a shortage of that so it must be reserved for the most serious cases - apparently not me.  Then he added, "we are becoming a third world country."  I was surprised by his opinion, but our experiences seem to give some support to that statement.
          Since 1992 my wife has suffered with a very serious condition, ulcerative colitis. The only thing that has kept it under control is a very expensive drug called Lialda.  Now it cost us $360 a month but when we reach the medicare "donut hole" if will jump to about $600 a month.  There is a generic available but we found the hard way that it won't work for her.  Last month when she ordered her monthly refill the pharmacy told us that they could not get it for her because it was backordered by the company.  We desperately began to call other pharmacies trying to find one that might have a supply.  Most did not, but finally the Lord led us to one that could help us that month.  A "third world country"?
          The very same thing happened to a drug that I was taking for years when I was told that an ingredient in that drug could cause cancer.  In that case my doctor suggested an alternative. But guess what - it was also backordered.
          Then there is the problem of actually getting a doctor appointment.  Now if we want to see our "family doctor" we need to make an appointment with that doctor three or four weeks in advance.  However, depending upon what is wrong we could try the walk-in service or urgent care.  We've had some good and bad experiences doing that.
          How about trying to get a first visit with a neurologist - three months if you are fortunate.  In our area neurosurgeons and even dermatologists are almost as difficult to schedule.
          And then there are the many hospitals that are closing down.  A big one serving Lancaster recently closed, placing a heavy burden on the one that remains.  The long time Community Hospital in Sunbury suddenly closed a few months ago, forcing folks there to now travel many miles for help.  Just hope that you don't have an emergency like a heart attack.
          And I don't need to mention the current world-wide virus that has caused the system to run out of protective gear, ventilators, patient beds, doctors and nurses.
          Unfortunately all of this is bound to get worse in the future.  If we're not there now, we could really become a third world nation in medical care in the near future.  That would be so sad.  Who would have ever thought that this could happen in the United States.
          But for the believer, one day (hopefully soon) medical care will no longer be a concern ... no more night, no more pain, no more tears, never crying again!

(1)     Peace, perfect peace, in this dark world of sin?
The blood of Jesus whispers peace within.

(2)     Peace, perfect peace, by thronging duties pressed?
To do the will of Jesus, this is rest.

(3)     Peace, perfect peace, with sorrows surging round?
On Jesus' bosom naught but calm is found.

(4)     Peace, perfect peace, with loved ones far away?
In Jesus' keeping we are safe, and they.

(5)     Peace, perfect peace, our future all unknown?
Jesus we know, and He is on the throne.

(6)     Peace, perfect peace, death shadowing us and ours?
Jesus has vanquished death and all its powers.

(7)     It is enough: earth's struggles soon shall cease,
And Jesus call us to Heaven's perfect peace.
          

No comments: