Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Schools - Open or Closed


        To open schools or keep them closed - that is now the big question.
          Some states have already chosen to open them while some politicians, including the President, are pushing to make this happen.  Others, especially the other political party, seem to want them closed.  So the next question is whether this is now a question of safety or of politics.
          It has always bothered me that folks who have never spent a day teaching in a public school make major decisions that greatly affect the classroom. I guess they feel qualified since once they were students.  These decisions usually involve curriculum and things like testing.  But now their decisions are about safety and the actual operation of schools and classrooms.
          Now how will teachers enforce the rules of wearing of masks?  They already often have faced the challenges of enforcing normal behavior expectations. But if the student's parents don't wear masks when they are recommended, won't their children also object.  Will they claim that it is their right not to wear them?  And will the administration defend the teacher and enforce the rules?  I  wouldn't want to have to find out.  It's just another potential battle for teachers to face.
          And what about social distancing?  Classrooms that I have taught in have generally had 30 student desks and they usually filled the classroom.  And there was seldom even enough room for rows and other equipment. And rarely did I have a class of fewer than 25 students - usually closer to 30.  So how would you separate your class of students under those conditions?
          One solution would be to reduce class size.  But how could that be done without hiring additional teachers?  And where are schools going to get the money to do that when their budgets are already stressed and under pressure?
           Then there is the challenge of feeding students.  One proposal is to have them served in their classroom.  I can't comprehend the logistics of doing this.  How would you deliver meals to all of these classrooms and clean up afterwards?  Where would the staff be found to do this?  
          What about control and spacing in the halls between classes?  What about the use of restrooms?  What about the cleaning of rest rooms and classrooms throughout the day?
          And then there is the challenge of busing.  In the past some busses have had to have three children sit in each seat - often without seat belts.  You would also need to double the number of buses and drivers and transportation is already a major expense for each school district.  And of course there could be the problem of discipline on the busses.  Do you think that will disappear during a pandemic?
          And what about curriculum?  Online work is one solution.  But you must be sure that each student has adequate access to a computer and to the internet.  And I have had experience writing computer curriculum and it is not an easy task and it takes much time to develop it.  And what about hands on activities, especially in things like science?
          And how would you handle absences and make-up work?  That was always a challenge for me when I was teaching.  And then there is the need for substitutes when a teacher is absent.  And, with the virus, you can be sure that teachers will use all of their sick days even if they don't catch the virus.  And where will qualified substitutes come from?  Schools often had trouble covering classrooms of absent students before the pandemic.
          And then there are the extracurricular concerns on the secondary level, especially  sports, marching band, musical groups and plays.  Already schools are running into problems with preseason practices.  How do you control Covid19 in such situations.
          I really don't understand how schools will be able to operate without additional funds and staffing.  And with the loss of tax revenue this past year, that will be a major challenge.  I guess we will just need to watch and see what happens.
          I really enjoyed my 39 years in the classroom but I am now very glad that I am retired and not dealing with all of these problems.  I'm not sure what I would do if I were a teacher.  With the physical problems that I have it might be a dangerous proposition to teach.  Maybe more older teachers will choose to quit or retire.  Then staffing would become even a bigger problem.
         And what would I do if I were a parent?  That would be a very difficult decision to have to make.  I pray for my family as they make those decisions for my grandchildren.  May the Lord give them wisdom and surround my grandchildren with His protection

No comments: