Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 4, 2020

To Wear A Mask Or Not To Wear One

          To wear a mask or not wear a mask ...  that appears to be a big question today.  And opinions are varied and discussions about this question can become very heated.  In the last few days I have read and heard "debates" on Facebook, on a community bulletin board and in the newspaper.  Some of the debaters are folks I know, some of whom call themselves Christian.  I have been surprised and shocked at many of their responses.
          On the virus itself one person said  "COVID19 is real, but it is a manufactured pandemic. We are as sheep being led to the slaughter! Think about it!"  Others claim it isn't real and is just politics, so why follow the recommendations of the government.
          Another said, "It's all about control and power! This cannot be constitutional. It's time to call the congressman and put an end to this!"
          When this week PA Governor Tom Wolf declared that everyone must wear a mask whenever they leave their home, one person said, "I still won't be wearing one outside, and only inside if people get into my 6' of space or I'm told I need one. I'll let you know if I get a citation. I'm not sure who's monitoring it. I can let you know when I encounter the mask patrol." Another replied, "I'm not wearing a mask! It messes up my makeup."  A third said "I'm going to need bail money."  A fourth said, "to quote Nancy Reagan, just say no!"
          One person said, "I wear a mask when I go to the store and when it is regulated at church. I wear a mask promoting Trump as I do think a lot of this is an attempt to hurt Trump. I just don't think I cause a death if I don't wear a mask. This meme actually is good for straightening my attitude as I look at others not wearing masks outside exercising or wearing a mask not covering their nose. I don't concern myself with them, I just go on. I'm not worried about catching it or spreading it."
          In one debate about wearing them out of courtesy to protect others, one participant replied,  "Honestly, causing a death? really!! Where maybe 7% (high estimate) of cases die and not even 1% of the population has this? With that logic, masks should be worn forever, since colds and flu can also cause people to die".
          I must admit that I am shocked about how many seem to have no respect for others - especially seniors and those with serious physical problems.  One person said, without any apparent concern about these people, "just make them stay isolated at home!"  Where have love and concern for others gone in our country?  It's almost like - let them die just so nobody takes away my rights and freedoms.   Maybe on the 4th of July we need some discussions about freedoms and resulting responsibilities.
          I have been thoroughly surprised and disappointed in how many of these responses came from folks who claim to be Christians.  They show little compassion for others and no respect for elected leaders or their recommendations.  Nobody dare tell them what to do.  Now I thought that the Bible tells believers to follow those in authority over us unless it means violating Biblical principles.  So is refusing to wear a mask a violation of a Biblical teaching?  I think not.
          Unfortunately too many people are refusing to follow these guidelines. I still see folks everywhere not wearing masks.  Last week my neighbors had a birthday party with 50-60 folks there.  No social distancing and no masks.  We recently drove by a local park with three basketball courts.  All three were packed with young people.  Again, no social distancing or masks.  My wife recently had an appointment and about six were present.  She was the only one who wore a mask.  People without masks crowd beaches, recreational areas, parks, stores, restaurants and bars - most without masks.  And the number of those who are infected explodes.
           I read that in Alabama groups are having Covid19 parties in which participants pay to get admitted.  Then the first person who gets Covid19 is given all the money.
           We have been spoiled by amazing medical advances and care in the past.  Doctors seem to find miracle cures for diseases - but so far not for Covid19.  Will they ever find a cure?  i don't really know, but I hope so.
           In the meantime I personally will not rebel, even though at times it might be inconvenient.  I will follow social distancing guidelines, sanitize my hands and wear a mask whenever I am out of the house or around people.  I will avoid large gatherings.  I will take my doctor's warning even though that means I can't attend church until there is a cure.  And I will trust the Lord to protect me from exposures to this dangerous virus and carry through whatever is in the future.
          That is my obligation as a husband, father, friend and as a child of God passing through this land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessed find. Pray that Our Father will see fit to resolve the problem, allowing your ministry to continue.