Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Gone And Not Missed!

My New 2020 Vehicle
          So long 2020!  We thought you would never end.  But finally you did, leaving us with many memories, disappointments and continuing problems.  But will 2021 be any different?
         I minded the isolation in 2020.  We followed all the suggested guidelines for dealing with Covid.  We isolated ourselves from family, friends and church.  We didn't go anywhere except for medical needs and for online shopping.
          But 2020 was also a difficult year physically for me.  In March they closed my pulmonary rehab sessions.  This was a blow since with my back problems that was the only exercise I was able to get.  Then there were unexpected surgeries and procedures.  And as the months went by I became more physically  handicapped and am now unable to walk without help or do any physical labor around our house.  I can't believe how all of this happened so quickly.  You know that someday you might face such problems, but you are never ready when it happens, especially so suddenly to you.
          Now while I wish that things didn't go this way, I'm not complaining.  God has been so good and has provided for us in so many ways. He has not forgotten us or given up on us.  In the Bible He has given so many promises to provide for us as we age and He is keeping them.
          I do find it very difficult to share my needs with others, except for the Lord.  I find it very hard to ask for help.  But as I  look back over 2020 I am amazed at how God has provided the help which we needed.
          My oldest grandson found that his job was eliminated when the pandemic struck.  As a result he has been available to cut our grass all summer.  He has also helped clean up our leaves, take out our AC, change light bulbs, carry boxes and do a host of things for us around the house that we no longer can do.  While I pray that he may soon find another job, we will really miss his help when this happens.
          Our newspaper delivery person always throws the paper somewhere around the end of our drive, requiring us to walk for it and then search for it.  A dear friend who lives a block away walks by our house each morning and brings the paper to our front door.  What a special, helpful gesture that is and I am thankful for his kindness.
         The weeds in our many flower beds grow so quickly.  We've reached the point where we either weed the beds or forget the flowers.  Thankfully the Lord has provided a neighbor who with a friend works on flower gardens.  We have been able to pay her to work on our flower beds and they have been more beautiful than they have been in years.
          Every summer I would spend hours trimming and caring for our many bushes and flowers.  In 2019 we hired a firm to come and do this work for us but it cost us a small fortune.  Thankfully this year the Lord provided us with a contact who does this work on the side.  Twice we hired him and he did an outstanding job.  He even took care of some outside building needs that we didn't really know we had.  And his charge was a fraction of what the commercial firm had charged and his work was much better.
          Winter has always provided us with challenges.  I used to be able to use our snowblower to clear our large drive and sidewalks but recent heart and physical problems have made this job too risky for either my wife or I to do.  Then the Lord provided us with some unusually kind and mature young men as neighbors who have now taken care of most of this for us.  What an answer to prayer they have been.
          Now much of all of this "outside" work has cost us some money.  But we thank the Lord that while we have now lived on a fixed pension for 18 years, He has provided us with the resources to cover these charges and tips.
          After our kitchen fire we found that we needed to hire a restoration firm to clean up the mess left behind.  They did an exceptional, thorough job.  And our insurance contact was wonderful and so helpful, covering all but $500 of the bills.  We thank the Lord for their work and this provision.
          We've also learned to use online ordering curbside pickup for our food, online purchase of home and some medical supplies and streaming church services.  Now I know these are available for anyone to use, but we are especially thankful that we can use them.
          The scriptures tell us to be thankful in everything. - even in 2020.  And I try to be because the Lord does care and provide for us, even when we grow old and helpless.  Thank you Lord for your provision.

          "Even to your old age, I shall be the same.  And even to your graying (and bald) years I  shall bear you!  I have done it and I shall carry you.  And I shall bear you, and I will deliver you."   Isaiah 46:4.

          "I have ben young and now am old; and yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread."   Psalm 37:25.

          "And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me until I declare Thy strength to this generation, Thy power to all who are to come."   Psalm 71:18.

          On to 2021!  Maybe this will be the year that the Lord comes!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,
I stumbled upon (or was led by God) your blog as I looked for the words to the amazing hymn, “ Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me!” I had been reading Psalms 22 and 23 and as I read the words it reminded of that hymn! After reading your story about the hymn I followed the link to your blog.
I agree that 2020 was full of disheartening things, like staying at home, not gathering for church or other meetings, not travelling as we used to, etc, etc. Some people found this year harder than other people. I’m an introvert so I didn’t have as much problem with staying in place as my extrovert husband.
I find rest in the thought that the sun shines brighter after the rain, and also I feel that the good is appreciated much more when we experience much bad.
This year seems to be full of bad, but at the end of the year, I can rejoice in the blessings that I have that I sometimes forget. Time with family, kindness of neighbours, ability to slow down and weed out the unnecessary things in life!
Thank you for your service over the years, may more people rise up to continue what you have started.

Blessings,

Diane Williams