Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Thoughts For Our Times

         For the past seven years I have enjoyed writing two blogs each week.  One of these is my hymn blog on which I feature a hymn or song each week.  Some weeks over 1,000 folks from all over the world visit this blog.  This has unexpectedly become a real ministry.  I enjoy doing it although at times it becomes a real challenge to find a different hymn and then find information about it and a video of it.  But the Lord continues to lead and provide.
          My second blog is this general one that you are presently reading.  In it I try to share a range of personal experiences and viewpoints as well as some items which I think may be of interest.  Sometimes I try to include some humor which I think we all need in the world in which we are presently living.  Very few folks read this blog each week but I continue it because I enjoy doing it.
           Some days the recorder in my brain keeps replaying hymns from my past.  These are often favorite hymns which speak to me personally at a particular time when I need them.  Maybe I need to share these experiences here with some personal thoughts and observations.  I hope to do this more often.
          Maybe you also are experiencing the dismay and stress of the world in which we are living.  Unrest, protests and anger are all about us.  Our Biblical morality and truths are being attacked.  And it is so easy for us to get discouraged and end up fighting back.  Sometimes we say things and do things in the heat of "discussions" that we wish that we never said.  Oh if we could be more like Jesus in these times.
          Thomas Obadiah Chisholm (1866-1960) was born in a log cabin in Kentucky.  He educated himself and became a school teacher at the age of 16.  By the age of 21 he was an associate editor of his local newspaper. He was born again as a believer at age 27.  He is said to have written over 1,200 poems during his life, many of which were turned into hymns.  Probably his best known work id "Great Is Thy Faithfulness".
          After hearing his mentor, Dr. Henry Clay Morrison, at a revival service, he penned the words of "Oh, To Be Like Thee".  He knew, as a new believer how his life compared to God's, and so he called out to Him with this prayer.  Chisholm's words show the zeal of this new Christian as he sought the character traits of Jesus, not merely to admire them, but to shape himself. Later the words were put to music by William James Kirpatrick.
         As we live in this time when hate and discord seem to abound, maybe we need to make Chisholm's words our daily prayer and desire. 
 
1.  O to be like Thee! blessed Redeemer;
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I'll forfeit all of earth's treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee!
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
 
          During these days all around us folks are hurting.  Covid has caused sickness and death.  Folks have lost jobs and have financial challenges.  Folks who are isolated are lonely and discouraged. There are major needs everywhere and maybe we need to, like Jesus, become more compassionate.  Chisholm's second verse reminded me of our need to care for those who have needs, just like Jesus would have.
 
2.   O to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wand'ring sinners to find.
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee!
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
          
          How is my attitude towards others?  How do I treat them?  Are we loving as we may face criticism for our trust in the Lord?  Many disagree with us.  How do we handle their reproach?  How do we respond?  Does my attitude and my responses show Jesus?

3.   O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer, others to save.
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee!
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
 
          Chisholm pursued being editor of the Pentecostal Herald in Louisville and then ordained ministry. Both of these efforts were later suspended because of poor health. He must have wondered how his desire to serve and be like Jesus would be accomplished, as he was forced to abandon editing and preaching in pretty short order.  Are we dedicated to the Lord's service no matter what may come our way?  How is the Lord using us as our lives are forced to adapt during the pandemic?

4.   O to be like Thee! Lord, I am coming,
Now to receive the' anointing divine;
All that I am and have I am bringing;
Lord, from this moment all shall be Thine.
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee!
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart. 
 
          Chisholm's final verse should be our plea and desire daily as we continue our pilgrim journey here on this earth.

5.   O to be like Thee! While I am pleading
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love.
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit for a life which Thou wouldst approve.
O to be like Thee! O to be like Thee!
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.
 
You can listen to it here.   LIKE THEE

No comments: