Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Our Sundays

         The pandemic has changed our Sundays.  We have not been able to attend our church for over a year and so we have looked for other ways to worship and grow in the Lord.  We miss our friends and out fellowship, but after trying numerous streaming possibilities we have settled into a solid routine on Sunday mornings.
          First, we continue to listen to the beautiful gospel music played all Sunday morning on radio station WDAC. We wake up to that.  They play many of the traditional hymns that we have grown up with and it helps us worship and prepare for the streaming worship services.  We are so thankful for this good music.
          Then at 9 am we are ready to watch and listen to the streaming service from our home church.  We enjoy catching up on the announcements and the solid Bible teaching from our young pastor.  Our services have had major changes over the past two years but the preaching is solid and helpful.
          For a few months we tried different services following our own.  We saw many different styles but we kept searching until one day we "accidentally" found Chuck Swindoll's Sunday service from Stonebriar Church in Texas.  The service features a professional sounding orchestra, brass and string ensemble, an excellent choir, congregational music that we recognize and can sing along with, and the exceptional teaching of Chuck.  That now has become our 10:30 service.
         The current streaming service from Swindoll's church isn't available until late Sunday afternoon so we always watch the previous Sunday's service.  So on Palm Sunday we watched the service from March 21 which featured their 5th and 6th grade choir and ensemble,  They were exceptional and touched my tender heart.
          I was touched first because they reminded me of our many years leading and teaching elementary age children in churches, VBS's, camps and in Awana.  I loved to lead children in enthusiastic singing and have so many good memories of that.  Unfortunately, those days are now gone but the memories are still there.  I thank the Lord for all of those opportunities when I was young and healthy enough to do it.
          And I was also touched because of the numbers which they sang - hymns which I loved.  One especially spoke to me, "In Times Like These".  Not only was it well done, but the words were so appropriate for the current messed up world in which we live.  Today we indeed need the Bible and a Savior.  I especially enjoy the final verse which states, "In times like these I have a Savior, In times like these I have an anchor;  I'm very sure, I'm very sure.   My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!"
           As they sang I sang along with them and prayed that the Lord would keep and use each of these precious children as they grow up in this troubled world.   May the words that they sang be a reality in their lives, as well as in my life. 

(1)   In times like these you need a Savior
In times like these you need an anchor;
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 

(2)    In times like these you need the Bible,
In times like these O be not idle;
Be very sure, be very sure 
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 

(3)    In times like these I have a Savior,
In times like these I have an anchor;
I'm very sure, I'm very sure
My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! 

But that wasn't all.  Six girls from the chorus concluded their part in the program by singing, in parts, with string accompaniment.  one of my favorite new songs.

1.     What love could remember, no wrongs we have done
Omniscient, all-knowing, He counts not their sum
Thrown into a sea without bottom or shore
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more

2:    What patience would wait as we constantly roam
What Father so tender is calling us home
He welcomes the weakest, the vilest, the poor
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more

 3:     What riches of kindness He lavished on us
His blood was the payment His life was the cost
We stood 'neath a debt we could never afford
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more

 Chorus:   Praise the Lord
His mercy is more
Stronger than darkness
New every morn'
Our sins they are many, His mercy is more

          Indeed it was a special program and the Lord spoke to me and touched my heart that morning.  Indeed we do need a Savior in these troubled times and we have One whose mercy is more than we need, greater than all of our sins.

1 comment:

Gospelsinger46 said...

OH! I wish our church would sing at least one hymn on a Sunday; it is all choruses projected onto the "wall" (screen). I need to tell our pastor direct, he ignores anonymous letters. But, sadly, I do not think it will change their style of service. I simply do not enter into the song service portion of the worship without a hymn! And sadly, this is one of the better churches (for us) in this area.