Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Happy Birthday!

          There are a few things that I still miss about my 39 years of teaching.  One of those is celebrating my birthday on April 6.  On that day I would create mathematical clues to have my students discover my age.  Then I would celebrate by treating my students to good fresh doughnuts from Willow Valley.  But now the Willow Valley Bakery is no more and I am retired.  Life changes.
          So today you can be my student and solve the following.  My age is the product of five prime numbers, one of them used four times.  (Hint - I am not 112 although some days I feel that old,)  My age is a palindrome in bases 3, 6, 9, 15, 19 and 39.
          Now for you Bible students, I am the age that Moses was when he spoke to Pharaoh on behalf of his people.  The prophet Daniel was this old at the time of the banquet given by Belshazzar when he had to interpret the prophecy written on the wall of the royal palace.  This number is also used 16 times in the Bible.
          As far as what happened on the day I was born, with the exception of my birth, not much.  The invasion of Yugoslavia, also known as the April War or Operation 25, was a German-led attack on the Kingdom of Yugoslavia by the Axis powers during World War II.   In the 8th US Masters Tournament at Augusta National Country Club - Craig Wood won his first major title, three strokes ahead of runner-up Byron Nelson.  And of course Gheorghe Zamfir, Romanian musician, and Hans W Geissendorfer, Augsburg Germany, director, were born the same day - whoever they were. 
          Now there were some "significant" things that happened on other April 6's. In 1722 Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, ended the tax on men with beards.  Maybe Trump should have brought that tax back to fund the wall.  In 1830 Joseph Smith and five others organized the Mormon church in Seneca Co, NY.  But they never found that one wife was enough.  In 1889 George Eastman began selling his Kodak flexible rolled film for the first time.  Do you remember what that was like?  In 1893 Andy Bowen and Jack Burke boxed 7 hrs 19 mins to no decision (111 rounds).  It's good they didn't have advertisements then to add hours more to that record.  In 1909 the North Pole was reached by Americans Robert Peary and Matthew Henson.  Fortunately they made it before climate change took over.  In 1930 Hostess Twinkies were invented by bakery executive James Dewar.  Now that was a tasteful event.   In 1973 Yankee Ron Blomberg became the first designated hitter in baseball and he walked.  And the American League was changed forever.  And in 1980 Post It Notes were introduced.  Now they are hanging everywhere.   So many interesting things happened on April 6, but I guess my birth didn't make the list.
          April 6 is a great day!  It's not really my birthday, it is the anniversary of my birth.  X number of years ago I was born in a hospital in Sunbury. My father was able to watch my appearance, something I never had the opportunity to do with the birth of my three sons. But sometime after my birth they tore down the hospital and moved it to another location (which is now also closed.).  I wonder if my birth had anything to do with that decision.  They never even asked me if they could do it.  But they did build a new junior high in that location so my wife could attend it more than a decade later.
          Now what are my plans for celebration this year?  Well two days before we'll celebrate Easter, isolated at home.  Because of Covid we can't be with our family or go out to eat.  This marks the second birthday that we are forced to celebrate this way.  The day before I will celebrate by getting my second covid shot, watching the NCAA basketball championship on television and watching the Phillies lose.   On my birthday I will take my wife for an appointment with her cardiologist.  And that will be my exciting birthday experiences for 2021.
           Now, have you solved my puzzles?  If not, this might help.  In Roman numerals I am LXXX.  Surely you remember Roman numerals from many years ago.   And in base two I am exactly 10100002 years old.  Now do you have it?  If so, then treat yourself to a doughnut.  I wish I could join you.
           Seriously I have so much to thank the Lord for over all of these years.  He has been my provider, my protector, my guide and my faithful friend.  And He is my Savior.  What more could I ask?

Some day life's journey will be o'er
And I shall reach that distant shore,
I'll sing while ent'ring Heaven's door
"Jesus led me all the way."
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.

If God should let me there review
The winding paths of earth I knew,
It would be proven clear and true
Jesus led me all the way.
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.

And hitherto my Lord has led,
Today He guides each step I tread,
And soon in Heav'n it will be said
Jesus led me all the way.
Jesus led me all the way,
Led me step by step each day;
I will tell the saints and angels
As I lay my burden down
"Jesus led me all the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every year this site releases a article remarking April 6 as a VERY SPECIAL DAY in history:
https://branham.org/en/articles/3302021_AVerySpecialDay
And to my heart it is indeed. Wanted to share this with you.

Happy Belated Birthday! May God be with you on the journey of one more year.

Marlene R. said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you, Brother Barry.

I wasn't very good in math, but by you giving us the Roman numerals, I was able to figure your age out: You are 80.
When I was younger, I went to Catholic school, where they taught us Roman numerals. To this day, I can figure out dates using them.

Please don't ever stop writing your blogs or posting songs. I miss what you miss: fellowship, hymns, and the overall hearts desire of wanting to leave this earth and be with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

I am 65 and my husband will be 69 on April 27th. Our daughter was born on April 1st. My maternal grandmother was born on April 23rd, and our daughter in law's mother is born on April 23rd as well. One of our grandsons is also born on April 27th.

A happy month.
We grew up at the Jersey Shore (I have written to you here before), but 11 years ago, we moved out, or should I say property taxes moved us out. We now live in SC, where the weather is moderate and\or hot depending on the time of the year and we can afford to live here with our SS checks.

We are not as locked down as you are in PA. We enjoy a lot more freedom, even with the COVID-19.

Please stay online. There are a lot of us who need you.