Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Mother's Day

          Many lessons are learned late in life, often when it is too late to make any necessary changes.
           Growing up we never made much of a fuss about many special days such as Mother's Day.  About all that we did was go to church that Sunday where mother's usually received a special gift - usually a flower.  I guess later in life we did give her a card and sometimes a flower.
           Now, when it is too late, I wish that I could do much more to honor and thank her.  But 28 years ago God suddenly called her home in an automobile accident.  And I still miss her greatly today.  I wish that I could take her out to dinner, buy her something special and above all else, just talk to her once again.
           God gave me a very special mother.   She loved and served the Lord.  She knew how to work hard especially in very difficult times.  She had a heart of gold and a special gift for caring and encouraging others.  She touched many lives.  And she loved her children and her grandchildren and had a memorable impact upon their lives.  Unfortunately she never got to know most of her great-grandchildren - but she will someday in a better place.
          My parents were married in the early days of World War 2 and jobs were scarce.  As a college grad my father's first job was teaching in Doylestown, PA.  His salary - $1,200 a year.  That wasn't enough to care for a wife and eventually a child so for a year we were forced to live with his parents while he commuted to work each week.
           Then he got a temporary job teaching Air Force cadets at Susquehanna University.  Then it was a brief stint as a high school math teacher in New Cumberland.  Then off to work on the secret Manhattan Project in Wilmington, Delaware.  Then it was back to New Cumberland H.S. where he also coached football.  Next it was Elizabethtown College where He had a temporary teaching job.  Finally it was a permanent job in Lancaster at RCA.  One final move took us to Lititz in the first home that they owned.  And it was in Elizabethtown, despite all these moves, that they finally were able to buy their first car.
          I never heard mother complain about all of these moves - nine of them until I was in fourth grade.  But this had to be very hard on her.  In addition she cared for us as dad was often gone working extra jobs such as with the railroad.  Times were tough but she helped us survive those stressful years.
         The moves never disrupted our faithfulness in attending church every Sunday and often on Wednesdays.  And mother was faithful in teaching us the scriptures at home.
          Finally, in Lancaster dad took the lead in establishing our church in 1950.  Then mother was able to use her gifts of hospitality by housing Bible School students who helped our church in summer tent meetings.  Over the years she also became the host for visiting speakers and missionaries, again providing housing and meals.  This had a real impact on our lives and introduced us directly in our home to many servants of God.
          When we moved to Lititz mother got involved with Child Evangelism Fellowship and she hosted a Good News Club in our basement for neighborhood children.  This is where I got my start in ministering to children as I became her assistant each week for many years.  She also taught Sunday School for many years and later became a listener in Awana.  We learned much about her impact upon lives after her death.
          Following her death we received numerours messages from adults who had attended her Good News Clubs over the years.  They shared how much they had been impacted by her and her teaching.  Many city kids who she had helped in Awana were in tears when they realized she wouldn't be there anymore.  She was like a mother to many of them.
          Mother also had a major impact upon church members and neighbors because of her loving, caring actions.  She also worked for years as a volunteer at the Lancaster County Home where she helped the aged and informed.  She was honored by the county commissioners for her work after her death.
          There is so much more that I can share about mother.  Her impact upon the lives of so many was a quiet but tremendous ministry.  She supported my father in his many ministries in our church, in our denomination and in the community.  
          But maybe the biggest impact that she had was on her family and especially on me.  And my heart is filled with thanksgiving.  I could not have had a better mother - she modeled Jesus to me.  I miss her.
          Several times I have shared in my blogs her favorite hymn.  As I do I can picture her walking and talking with the Lord - and probably with my father and brother as well.

(1) I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

(2) He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

(3) I'd stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

No comments: