Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, May 15, 2021

My Anchor Holds

          We all face storms throughout our lives.  We don't know when they will come or how bad they will be.  But we do know that they will come and nobody is exempt from them.  They can seem devastating and at times we can feel like we are drowning.  Will our anchor hold?
          During the past two weeks I have been facing one of these storms and it has been very difficult.  My wife lost her balance and fell just one step but she landed on her side on some soda bottles as we were getting ready for bed.  I couldn't get her up and had to call my son and grandson to come and help her up.  She then seemed fine and actually went to bed and slept about five hours.
          However the next morning she began to have very painful spasms around her chest.  I finally had to call the ambulance and she was taken to the ER.  After x-rays and tests they decided that she should be sent to the hospital for observation.  They finally were able to find a room for her.
           After two nights there it was decided that she should go to a skilled nursing facility for rehab.  It was very difficult but they finally found a couple of places with a bed available.  I had to transport her to the Quarryville Presbyterian Retirement Home, about 30 minutes away, where she is still a patient.  As I write this she continues to be in serious pain whenever she moves.  It is so hard to watch.
          The Home is very nice, highly rated and the help has been very kind.  But because of covid restrictions I am very limited in visitation and that is hard.  Sometimes it feels like she is a prisoner and I can't be with her all the time.  In a few weeks hopefully we will celebrate our 59th anniversary and we have always been together during these years.  We miss each other.  But I remember the vows we took, "in sickness and in health".  Now she has pain and is very weak.
          As you can tell, I am finding this very hard.  On Sunday, for the first time I had to watch our streaming worship service without her.   But the Lord had something special in mind for me.  After watching our local service we usually watch the streaming service from Chuck Swindoll's Stonebriar Community Church in Texas.  It is always encouraging with great music and great preaching.  The service streamed is always from the previous Sunday.
          This week the service had exerpts from their children's musical that was to be that evening.  So after the service I found the concert, "My Anchor Holds".  It was outstanding and a wonderful reminder of the storms we all face and the anchor that we have in the midst of these storms.  All the music was appropriate with an encouraging message.  If you have a chance to watch it, please do so.
           And I was reminded of my Anchor that firmly holds in the roughest of storms.  I don't know what the coming days will hold for my wife and I pray for the best for her.  But I am reminded that God is in control of all the storms and somehow He will provide the comfort, direction, peace and companionship which I need.  "Fastened to the Rock which cannot move, grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love."
          Maybe you need this reminder as well, so meditate on the words of this old hymn.  If you aren't going through a storm right now, then be ready.  One will come your way.  Do you have the Anchor to see you through?
          
1.     Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,
When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?
When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,
Will your anchor drift or firm remain?
  We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,
  Grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love.

2     It is safely moored, 'twill the storm withstand,
For 'tis well secured by the Savior's hand;
And the cables passed from His heart to mine,
Can defy the blast, through strength divine.

3     It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,
When the breakers have told the reef is near;
Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,
Not an angry wave shall our bark o'erflow.

4      It will surely hold in the floods of death,
When the waters cold chill our latest breath;
On the rising tide it can never fail,
While our hopes abide within the veil.

You can listen to it here.    ANCHOR


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTfypuXwrMA

No comments: